Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 11 (2,320 Views)

HP Spectre x2 12 battery drains while turned off

Product Name: Spectre x2 12
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have owned a Spectre x2 12 myself and then I purchased one for my wife. I also recommended this system to my uncle who bought one.

I must say that I have been happy with the performance and build quality of these units. However, there is one glaring issue with them that HP seems to be totally ignoring and in my opinion it is a deal breaker. I have since sold mine and am looking to do the same with my wife's system. I have recommended to my Uncle that he should do the same thing.

What is this one glaring problem?

The system discharges the battery even when the system is completely turned off. We have tried all the recommended things on all the HP and 3rd party forums to fix the issue but nothing has worked. We have tried everything from turning off fast boot and USB charging in Bios, to updating the Bios and all the drivers, to making sure no WiFi dongles are connected to the device when turned off, and even separating the keyboard from the device when it is turned off. Nothing has solved the problem.

On one forum for an HP spectre x360 there was a fix offered which allowed the user to update the M.2 hard drive bios which fixed the problem the same problem for those systems but no such fix is offered by HP for the Spectre x2 12. I suspect that this system along with many other HP systems are suffering from the same issue of the M.2 not completely shutting down when the device is turned off which allows it to slowly discharge the battery. Imagine the frustration trying to use your device 3 or 4 days after you charged it and shut it down only to try and use it and find it won't turn on because it is completely dead. As far as I am concerned this makes many HP laptops and tablets running Windows 10 completely useless.

HP needs to get their act together and fix this problem rather than ignoring it and making it sound like it is normal or pushing it off on Microsoft. I now have an Acer Alpha 12 and if I charge it to 100 percent and turn it off, the next day it is at 100 percent when I turn it back on. This is not a Windows issue it is a manufacturer's issue. I have also tested several of my clients Microsoft Surface 4 tablets and they hold their charge after being turned off for several days. Can you explain that HP?
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 11 (2,279 Views)

Re: HP Spectre x2 12 battery drains while turned off

Hi @Frankieiam,

Welcome to the Hp forums. I reviewed the post comprehensively.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Student
Message 3 of 11 (2,182 Views)

Is there a fix for this? I have a Spectre x2 detach and the battery continues to drain while off or in sleep mode making it only useful when there is a power supply around. This completely defeats the purpose of buying the device.
Tutor
Message 4 of 11 (2,132 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have not been able to  get any help from HP with this problem. It appears the problem plagues several HP models and noboby from HP is admitting that there is an issue. I have a Microsoft Surface 3 and an Acer Switch Alpha 12 both hold a full charge when turned off. Both of my HP Spectre x2 12 devices discharge even when they are turned completly off. I sold one and I am working on selling the other. I would not recommend an HP to anyone based on my experience with their support.

Student
Message 5 of 11 (2,105 Views)

Hi David,

Our family laptop (HP Spectre x2 Detachable ) seems to have the same problem as Frankieiam.  When Shut Down with a full battery, the next day the laptop won't boot as the battery is completely flat.  Will boot happily when connected to the power supply, and when booted the battery commences charging from flat.  I am suprised as I would expect Shut Down to mean nothing is drawing power.

Is there a solution to this problem?  I would like to not have the laptop continuously connected to the power supply.  I would removed the fully charged battery to save it, but it's integrated, so I can't.

Thankyou

Danielle

Tutor
Message 6 of 11 (2,097 Views)

Your best bet is to return it if you still can and get something else. You will find that most of the new HP laptops and tablets have this issue and HP just doesn't care. 

I am a Network Admin for a company that takes care of IT for about 100 companies. I do not recommend HP to any of them. I am happy to say I continue to cost HP thousands of dollars in sales a year because of their terrible service.  I will continue to do so until they actually show they care and do something great for me . . . and all the others with this terrible issue. But they wont so I will continue on.

Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (1,989 Views)

Is the problem solved? I encounter the same problem.

Almost one year already, but it seems like no solution for that.

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 11 (1,977 Views)

Hi @tionglk,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the battery keeps discharging when the PC is turned off.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue. 

And here are a few steps for you listed below: 

1. Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 

2. Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

3. Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 

4. Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

I would also suggest that you update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (1,968 Views)

i will give it a try
HP Support Agent
Message 10 of 11 (1,951 Views)

Hi! @tionglk, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

The laptop power settings should allow it to sleep after a configured period. What is this period in power settings?

Also, I would suggest you try power settings in balanced mode and check if it helps.

Use Winkey+X and Power options or right click the Start button
On the top left click on change what the power button does
Click on the link top center to change settings currently unavailable
Uncheck use fast startup recommended

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation