Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Update;

I contacted the link provided by Huffer a few posts  back (the place in miami) and spoke to a guy named Gaston. He was very familiar with this laptop’s motherboard failures (in fact he owned one that went bad).

He said normally they can fix this, unless the burned component was so bad that it buggered (my words, not his) the pc board itself. 

The repair air charge is $100 plus $20 shipping. I was willing to spend that. (If it can not be fixed, they refund your money)

I will send it off today and expect it back in a 10-14 days.

I will, of course,  return to report what happened.

Note:

When you send it in, you have to send in the whole laptop, not just the motherboard. Since I had disassembled it, I had to put it back together again.

Had I thought to look under the sticker after taking the back cover off, I would have seen the problem and avoided the disassembling of the laptop, which always risks damaging something.

huffer, thanks so much for providing the links.

HP Recommended

It's Fixed!

Today I recieved the laptop from the repair shop in Miami. They charged me $100 plus $20 dollars shipping. Plus, I paid $20 to ship it to them. Total outlay $140. 

The laptop started right up and has been working flawlessly for the past 24 hours. Now, whether or not this contiunues to run long term, remains to be seen.

I think I made a wise choice going the route I did. I will try to remeber to return to this forum in a few weeks/months to report if it's still working. If it dies an early death AGAIN, I will return to report that.

It was Huffer who clued me in to the fact that it was possible to get the motherboard repaired and pointed me to the repair shop that did the job. Therefore, I shall credit him with having come up with a solution that has (so far) worked for me. 

HP Recommended

I am so pleased this worked out for you and hope the laptop lasts for years. My neighbor's MacBook is still going strong nearly a year later. 

HP Recommended

Just checking back to say:

Its still working!

A recap of the details about the repair:

The repair shop that I used was CPRS, located in Miami. I dealt with a guy called Gaston. He was very familiar with this motherbaord failure. In fact, he told me he had personally owned a spectre x360  that went bad. They repaired it an sent it out in two working days. I had it back in just over a week from when shipped from PA. 

[edit]

My motherboard was repaired, not replaced. 

If you want to confirm that your motherboard burned up in the common mode of failure reported so often, do this:

Remove the back cover of the laptop and look under the white sticker.You will see evidence of a scorched component and burn marks on the white sticker. Perhaps not necessary, since they all seem to die this way. I have a picture of this on my origonal post if interested.

I'd remind you that you will need to send in the whole computer, not just the motherboard. I was origonally informed that I'd be sending in just the motherboartd, so I took my machine apart (always with some risk). I had to reassemble it before sending it in.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update and pleased to hear it is still working. I had told you that it was necessary to send in just the motherboard and that IS the procedure at the NYC shop I used. You used the first one I linked which is in Miami (I have never used that one just got it off eBay) and they handle the whole laptop not just the motherboard. Lessons learned: 1) there are at least a couple shops out there who can competently repair motherboards; and 2) pick your shop and get their instructions. Some disassembly is required to confirm the diagnosis just not removal of the motherboard necessarily. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just Checking in to say that the laptop is still working fine.

I am glad I sent it to Miami to be repaired for a total cost of $140.

HP Recommended

Same issue these boards just seem flackey, honestly this is the second Hp I've  bought the first had issues with a seagate HD controller and I lost all my data as HP advised that it was 180gbp to attempt data recovery ive had this laptop just over a year and the main board is dead. Sorry HP its not likley I'll buy from you again. I paid 1500 for this and its a paper weight. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

can you  please  share  contact number of that  repair shop as I am facing the  same issue with my laptop.

thanks in advance !!

HP Recommended

The repair shop that I used was CPRS, located in Miami. I dealt with a guy called Gaston. He was very familiar with this motherboard failure. In fact, he told me he had personally owned a spectre x360  that went bad. They repaired it and sent it out in two working days. I had it back in just over a week (shipped from PA).  The cost was 100 plus return shipping of $20. It cost me $20 to ship to them....so total cost $140.

The previous link that I had to his site is now dead. I have no idea if they still exist. I would recommend searching on ebay and see if this place is still in business.

BTW, the laptop is still running fine.

HP Recommended

I looked and could not find the repair facility I had used.

when I searched ebay, I found this repair facility;

It is much more expensive than the vendor I used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Spectre-X360-13-4000-13-4003dx-Laptop-Motherboard-801505-501-Repair-Serv...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.