I have the HP Spectre x360 13-4005dx and it will no longer power on. I was using the computer on my lap when it suddenly became very hot on the underside (against my leg), made a popping sound, and then shut off. I took it off my lap quickly when it happened so I wasn't burned too badly but it filled the room with a very acrid burning smell and now the computer won't power back on. I waited a while for it to cool down and then I plugged in the charging cord (to the OEM HP supply) but the charging indicator LED by the charging port didn't light up and it still wouldn't power on. I left it plugged in, hoping it would charge while I was using my phone to search troubleshooting for the problem, and it made the same burning smell again so I unplugged it.
I started to search for power supply issues related to this computer and found that many people had experienced issues with the motherboard catching fire or burning (probably what mine did). Even though my computer is old and out of warranty, it has very little usage (both time powered-on and even time with charged batteries); it was used for six weeks of school and then sat idle for years, with only a few hundred hours of usage. I did not expect a computer that I paid so much for and with such little usage to almost catch fire on my lap and burn itself (and potentially me) up, but I suspect that I would find that same area of the motherboard burnt if I were to open it up and inspect it.
Why were no bulletins or notices sent out for this issue? I find it very troubling that it would fail in such a catastrophic manner (burning/smoking/popping) WHILE it was on my lap, especially considering this appears to be a more-than-common issue. If I plug the charging cord back into it, will it catch on fire? Why did such an expensive computer, from a name-brand, with so little usage, fail like this? I buy name-brand (like HP) because of the presumed reliability and spent $1200-$1300 for it because I expected to get good usage out of it, but I got neither.
Please advise as to what I can do to have this problem resolved. With so many people experiencing the same faulty hardware, I would like to at least assume for the time being that HP will help me to take care of this issue. I have previously owned several HP laptops that cost less and gave me years of in-use service; this issue with my Spectre x360 is so far below those experiences that, quite honestly, I am amazed.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".