Tutor
13 0 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 (2016) - Trackpad Click & 2-Finger Scrolling Issues

13-w023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Aside from the below trackpad issues, coil whine and fan that likes to spin up even when doing basic tasks, I quite like the new Spectre x360.

Issue 1: When using the entire trackpad as a click, the cursor will sometimes move just before I actually click down, which is something I never experienced on my MacBook Air's trackpad. This results in either missing what I originally wanted to click, or clicking on something entirely different.

Issue 2: Two-finger scrolling doesn't work in the bottom 20% of the trackpad. I can use two fingers in that area, but scrolling won't actually start until I get towards the middle of the trackpad. So, until I hit that area, it'll just be single-finger pointing. Given the trackpad's wider than it is tall, this can become a problem.

I tried messing around with the dated-looking Synaptics settings program, but couldn't get anything to help. Maybe it'll get better with time on its own? Otherwise, hopefully software updates will fix it...

6 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1324 2269
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@besweeet

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you :)

As I understand the touchpad moves on its own causing issues around the desktop screen,
don't worry as I will be able to help you out, although, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

• Does this happen only with the browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome (if yes, which browser are you using)?
  • Have you made any recent updates to your computer, software or hardware related?
  • When was the last time it worked fine (date)?

Check the Mouse options under control panel:

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.
Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."
Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.
  • 2.   Click Device Manager.
  • 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.
  • 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".
  • 5.   Restart your computer.

updating the drivers and BIOS (if available) would help, Click here to download any available software.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
besweeet Tutor
Tutor
13 0 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I understand the touchpad moves on its own causing issues around the desktop screen,

don't worry as I will be able to help you out, although, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

• Does this happen only with the browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome (if yes, which browser are you using)?
  • Have you made any recent updates to your computer, software or hardware related?
  • When was the last time it worked fine (date)?

It happens everywhere. It has never worked as it should because it is brand new and has happened on multiple HP laptops, even display units at stores.

Check the Mouse options under control panel:

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.
Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."
Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

These options do not exist, nor have I ever seen those options in any version of Windows.

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

This is absolutely not an option, nor a solution. It's a laptop. I expect the trackpad on a $1,300 computer act as it should in 2016.

None of your generic troubleshooting steps can fix this. It is clear that HP, despite using excellent hardware and design engineering everywhere else, cheaped out on the trackpad by using a bargain bin product from Synaptics just to save a couple cents per unit.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1324 2269
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@besweeet

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand the steps provided haven't been helpful as you couldn't find some of the instructed tabs,

Nevertheless, I would appreciate if you could reply with the details on driver reinstallation or bios update suggested earlier, have you completed those steps and yet the issue persists?

If that's the case, please check if the external mouse works, if it does - you might want to run a hardware test on the trackpad,
And depending on the results: Contact HP for a hardware service as the track/mousepad may require either a repair or replacement.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
besweeet Tutor
Tutor
13 0 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@besweeet

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand the steps provided haven't been helpful as you couldn't find some of the instructed tabs,

Nevertheless, I would appreciate if you could reply with the details on driver reinstallation or bios update suggested earlier, have you completed those steps and yet the issue persists?

If that's the case, please check if the external mouse works, if it does - you might want to run a hardware test on the trackpad,
And depending on the results: Contact HP for a hardware service as the track/mousepad may require either a repair or replacement.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

It's a brand new, clean copy of Windows 10, so a reinstallation of the driver wasn't necessary. Considering I experience the same exact issues with all display units at Best Buy and Costco, it's clearly a hardware problem. Or, perhaps it's by design as, as mentioned earlier, HP decided to go the cheap route and use non-Precision, Synaptics trackpads.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1324 2269
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@besweeet

Thank you for replying with the details,

Considering all the trouble you've gone through, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

I hope you have a good day,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ibuk27 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre trackpad is horrible. Issue 2 is particularly driving me crazy. Any progress?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation