Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new 2017 HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0XX which has two USB 3.1 Type-C and one USB 3.1 Type A ports.

I recently tried to plug in a 4G Airtel Dongle into the USB 3.1 type-A  port, but the dongle was not recognised.

I then connected the 4G Airtel dongle via an external adapter, to the USB 3.1 type-C port. The dongle was recognised, drivers installed and I was able to connect to the 4G network.

The USB 3.1 type A port recognises all other USB storage devices, so there is nothing wrong with the port. I also checked for the latest drives for the USB port through the Device Manager. It says the latest drivers have been isntalled. 

The type-A port  just does not regnize the 4G dongle. The red LED lights up on the dongle when plugged in, but nothing beyond that.

How do I get the USB 3.1 type-A port to recognize the 4G Airtel dongle ?

Jo Neri 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JoWarrior,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding a query relating to issues with connecting the USB type 3.1 Type A port to the Airtel Dongle. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:

• Have you tried the Airtel Dongle on a different computer with a similar port?

For now please try these steps:

• It is very clear here that the USB dongle has compatibility issues with the Type A port of the computer.
  • If all the other devices work on the USB 3.1 Type A port and not the Airtel dongle, then the drivers for the dongle are not compatible or recognized.
  • It also proves the functionality of the USB 3.1 type A port as it works with all the other devices.
  • If the USB type C port via an adapter works with the Airtel USB dongle please continue using it that way because the USB Type A port may have compatibility issues recognizing the built-in Airtel Dongle drivers.
  • So just to make the Airtel Dongle work and make it compatible with the USB type A port may not be feasible. Please continue using the Type C port.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No replies to this post.

Please help. Issue still not resolved.

HP Recommended

Hi @JoWarrior,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding a query relating to issues with connecting the USB type 3.1 Type A port to the Airtel Dongle. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:

• Have you tried the Airtel Dongle on a different computer with a similar port?

For now please try these steps:

• It is very clear here that the USB dongle has compatibility issues with the Type A port of the computer.
  • If all the other devices work on the USB 3.1 Type A port and not the Airtel dongle, then the drivers for the dongle are not compatible or recognized.
  • It also proves the functionality of the USB 3.1 type A port as it works with all the other devices.
  • If the USB type C port via an adapter works with the Airtel USB dongle please continue using it that way because the USB Type A port may have compatibility issues recognizing the built-in Airtel Dongle drivers.
  • So just to make the Airtel Dongle work and make it compatible with the USB type A port may not be feasible. Please continue using the Type C port.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear David

No, I have not tried the Airtel 4G dongle on another computer wth a similar USB port. You see, the USB 3.1 Type A port is a relativley newer standard and not many PCs around have this type of port. Not the ones I own and none at my work place.

I tend to agree that it must be a driver issue, for this particular 4G dongle, as all my other devices work on this USB port. And yes,  it is a bit strange that it works off an adapter on the USB 3.1 Type-C port, on the same Laptop. For the time being I will continue to use it with the Adapter.

Let me approach the Network Service provider Airtel, for a possible solution.

Thankyou for the response.

Regds

Jo Neri

HP Recommended

Hi @JoWarrior,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.