Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 Convertible Battery Discharge When Completely Shut Down

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new laptop (purchased 3/26/2017 at Best Buy)...same problem.  Battery drains from 100% to 90% when the laptop is fully shut down in less than 24 hours.  After two days, while fully shut down, battery drains to 80%.  What happens in two weeks...I haven't tried yet, but suspect that the battery will be fully depleted.  I have no attachments in the 1 USB port or 2 Thunderbolt Ports.  I use a Microsoft Blutooth mouse.

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-w0XX

Product # X7V20UA#ABA

Operating System:  Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Microprocessor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
System Memory: 16GB
Memory Slot 1:  8GB  SK Hynix 1867MHz
Memory Slot 2:  8GB  SK Hynix 1867MHz
System Board:  827E 94.55
System Bios:  F.22

I attempted HP online assistance and was told that the overnight discharge was "normal" and is intended to eliminate static charge buildup.  I was also told that startup after shutdown places a large drain on the battery and could decrease battery capacity.  At that time I had not seen the continued depletion of the battery over a two day period.  The HP support tech re-updated my bios (I had already done it) and the battery software.  After those explanations and efforts the condition still exists (battery continues to discharge when shutdown).

After research online, I have seen several solutions posted, most of which are unsuccessful.  Some individuals, however,  report success.  One solution involves download of a "Sphinx" fix which apparently is not endorsed by HP.

While still searching for solutions and well within my warranty, I am trying this forum route for something I can do at home before surrendering my laptop...I am otherwise pleased with my purchase.
3 REPLIES 3
GAputer Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I contacted HP Support last night and the tech applied the Phoenix fix for me. I completely shut down the laptop last night after charging it to 100%. This morning (about 8 1/2 hours later) I restarted the computer (on the battery) and the battery indicated 100%. PROBLEM RESOLVED. Many thanks to the HP TECH (Prabhu) for his knowledge of the issue, efficient response, and most importantly his follow-up phone call to me this morning to ensure that he had successfully resolved my problem. I am most impressed with his service (having been a bit disillusioned after the first attempt with HP Support). I am very pleased with the speed, graphics and portability of the Spectre and am relieved that HP has this issue is under control. Again many thanks to HP Support and thank you David for your response. I felt more comfortable having HP do the fix rather than attempting it myself.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,218 18,897 1,570 2,628
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GAputer

Thank you for the update,

@DavidSMP is out of the office, for the time being,
however, he wanted me to convey his gratitude for your noble words, I appreciate your time and efforts, 

And I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for. 

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

I'mg sure you've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,795 12,339 1,165 2,369
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @GAputer,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. I am really glad that the issue has been resolved. It has been a fabulous experience working with you.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been commendable and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation