Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 7 (1,174 Views)

HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake) battery life

Product Name: Spectre x360 13t-w000
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I got my 2016 HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake) laptop a week ago, and it seems the battery life is very underwhelming. I get around 4 hours from mixed usage (browsing/productivity/media). I had the previous gen. Spectre and almost similar tasks got me 8hr+ battery life.

I've tried battery testing/calibration etc. suggested in the support pages.

Anyone else having similar problems? I want to give the laptop some chance before I replace/return it.

Student
Message 2 of 7 (1,143 Views)

Re: HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake) battery life

[ Edited ]

I just went through a few very frustrating conversations with customer support. I had my laptop spectre x360 for about 2 months, and i have seen the battery life drop suddenly from 8+ hours to less than 3 hours! they told me that all my battery tests were normal, so i basically have to just live with it. they even told me "4 hours is quite good!"

I'm VERY disappointed with the situation and the poor customer service.

HP Support Agent
Message 3 of 7 (1,095 Views)

@crackjackx

Welcome to the HP Forums Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I understand that you are having issues with battery life in HP Spectre x360 laptop battery.

And I also appreciate that you have tried running battery test and doing battery calibration.

Don't worry though as I have few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Please try making few changes in power options which should help in increasing battery life.

Using Sleep mode

Adding Hibernate to the Power menu

Changing power button and lid settings.

Enabling Away mode when sharing media files.

Click here for the document which you can refer to for making changes in power options.

If these steps don't work , I request you to contact HP phone support.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7 (1,091 Views)

@crazyikereneI

have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Intern
Message 5 of 7 (1,083 Views)

@sandytechy20

Thank you for responding. I have already done those steps mentioned in your post. I will contact HP phone support, and hope it'll get fixed in some way. 

I'll post back with updates.

Thank you.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 7 (1,014 Views)

@crackjackx

Thanks  for replying, If you encounter any issues with HP product in future you can always contact us.

Cheers.

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Student
Message 7 of 7 (625 Views)

hey,

when I bought this laptop, I also had an awful battery life, like 4-4.5 hours. after doing some optimization now I have a decent 6-7 hours and 7-9K mW discharge rate (I'm using a batterymon app, it is really cool)

what I did:

turn off keyboard lights

windows 10 deep optimization (turn off unused services in services.msc, like windows search, indexing etc just google it)

optimize your autorun apps

optimize your energy profiles (e.g. I set 70% cpu max usage when unplugged. with this beast it is more than enough. also, turning on adaptive brightness looks fine)

set the native windows 10 battery saver - turn off background usage etc, typical stuff

set the power usage profile in bios (and of course use the latest drivers and bios)

that's basically it, maybe I am missing something. but as far as I noticed the most crucial stuff here is keyboard lights (it eats a lot) and windows services (turn them off wisely)

maybe 6 hours is not very impressive, but hey, I have 3 google chrome profiles opened with 60 ! opened tabs in total, 2 skypes, outlook, eset, telegram and some background stuff.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation