Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been going through these forums for nearly an hour, astonished at the fact that I purchased a device with a known motherboard failure that HP has failed to recall. I am a college student and proudly purchased my HP Spectre x360 in 2017. Since then, I've had an insane amount of issues with this machine. First, my computer started shutting down intermittently, for no reason at all. Then, my computer began to make a popping noise when it turned on, similar to the sound a match or a lighter makes once ignited. I didn't think anything of this, but did note that this was peculiar. However, on several occasions, my computer has been searing hot and has smelled of smoke or something burning. Next, my computer refused to turn on without being plugged in and now, when plugged in, the orange indicator light is not lighting up and the battery is suddenly not charging. Initially, I thought this was a battery issue, so I went online to buy a replacement battery, which is now not even sold in the parts store. I went to an authorized reseller and purchased the battery two hours ago, however in my internet searching, it has become clear to me that this is not a battery issue at all, it's a motherboard failure that I could not have prevented or avoided, regardless of usage or warranty status because it is a manufacturer issue. I came across forum after forum in shock at the amount of other customers with this issue. I am very concerned about my device being a safety hazard to my family members, as my youngest sibling is 5 years old. This is very troubling and I'm unsure of why this is happening when this device, and it's warranty, cost me over $1600. I would like to have my device serviced for this issue, but have not been able to get through to anyone that wouldn't charge me upwards of $700. This is a hazardous product that could cause a fire and was completely unaware of this at the time of purchase, which is deeply troubling.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Courtney899

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.