Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-df0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using an add-on hub connected by the USB-C port on my Spectre x360 laptop. Everything was working very well until I upgraded the BIOS to F.31.  I did this because it said it fixed a "fan running all the time" issue. Now my devices on the hub are not seen by the PC. I have been unable to find anything that needed to be reconfigured to restore this functionality.

When I downgraded the BIOS to F.28A, the USB-C port still would not see the attached hub and its devices.

Has anyone selse een this situation?

Regards, Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mike_d177

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Update the USB drivers from the device manager.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 

2. In the device manager, expand the category "USB". 

3. Under this category, right-click on your USB and click on Update the drivers

Update the Chipset using this link: https://support.hp.com/nz-en/drivers.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mike_d177

Update the USB drivers from the device manager.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 

2. In the device manager, expand the category "USB". 

3. Under this category, right-click on your USB and click on Update the drivers

Update the Chipset using this link: https://support.hp.com/nz-en/drivers.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The problem turned out NOT to be related to the BIOS update. I rolled the BIOS version back and discovered it did not fix the issue.  Further research led me to the realization that the USB controller can sometimes hang up and needs to be reset.

• From a powered down condition, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

That resolved the problem.  I then updated the BIOS and restarted with the above process and now my USB-C port is working just fine.

Regards, Mike

HP Recommended

@mike_d177

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Had exactly the same problem.

Its likely though that updating the BIOS causes the USB-C ports (in my case) to hang.

They've never ever hung for me before, only this one time; at the exact moment after the machine restarted after updating the BIOS.

So too big a coincidence imho.

Thanks for the solution!

HP Recommended

This solved my problem too, thank you.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!! your solution solved my problem as well. all ports are working smoothly now.

HP Recommended

This solution worked like a charm!!! Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.