07-17-2017 06:01 AM
07-18-2017 12:22 PM
Welcome to the HP Forums
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.
I would like to help you with this issue.
First off, we need to establish if the issue is hardware or software related. In order to do this please perform a few steps.Let’s do a hard reset first.
- Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery only if it is a removable one.
- Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
- Replace the battery and reconnect the charger.
Then we need to check in the command prompt outside of windows to see if all the keyboard characters work correctly to isolate the issue correctly to a hardware or software failure.
Steps to do it:
- Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
- It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and “command prompt”
- Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
- If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.
Then try updating the notebook's BIOS and device drivers.
For more information, see HP Notebook PCs - Locate and Install Updated BIOS, Drivers, and Software.
For advanced troubleshooting on your concern: Click here
For other issues within the keyboard: Click here
Keep me posted, how it goes.
If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help, please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".
Have a great Day!
I am an HP Employee
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot