Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP Spectre x360 was a super awesome computer. I really enjoyed the design, the keyboard, the touchscreen response and it's overall processing speeds. I enjoyed it so much that I even recommended it to friends as a college student, and those friends then went on to buy this laptop.

All was well until one day my laptop crashed. Thinking it was the battery dying, I tried plugging in my AC adapter. Unfortunately, it didn't charge my laptop. After borrowing my friend's charger that I knew worked on my laptop, I found that this also would not charge my laptop. Running out of options, I sent my computer to certified HP service center and apparently the problem is with the motherboard and the DC in port.

I was very disappointed to find the the cost of these replacement parts would be upwards of $650, which is more than 50% of the cost of the laptop itself!! This was incredibly disappointing news to hear especially since this laptop is only a year and a half old (conveniently outside of warranty) and is supposedly a higher end model. One would think this laptop should last for at least 3-4 years. On top of that, I now have friends and family who got this laptop on my recommendation and will likely suffer from the same fate.

As a college student, this is a major inconvenience. Not only do I have to juggle borrowiong laptops and using public computers to finish daily assignments, I am now expected to pay hundreds of dollars for a replacement part that should not be malfunctioning (funds that I don't have I might add). I will no longer be recommending this product and can continue to spread the word about this across my campus.

Is there any way this laptop can be returned or repaired economically, or (dare I say it) for free? 

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@ld757

Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, but was told that I had to pay $701 for the repair.  This is ridiculous; this is more than half the cost of what i purchased it for.

HP Recommended

Hi @Dsoohoo

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

Purchased my Spectre X360 in July 2015 for my daughter as she went to college it completely died the other day.  Took it to a local repair shop and was told the motherboard needed to be replaced.

I have always been a fan of HP but am very frustrated spent over $1,O00 and it does not last two years.

looked all over the website for an email address, but could find nothing hopefully someone at HP will see this. It appears that this is a common problem. 

HP Recommended

Greetings @millpenn,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been contaced by a case manager now waiting to be contacted by someone at HP who may be able to help with my problem.  Will post an update after that happens 

HP Recommended

It took some time but heard back from my case manager last week.  Said repair would be approx $600 and offered a 40% discount I asked for 50% which they agreed to.  Sent the computer in for repair on June 13, and recived it back this morning June 16.  It appears to be good as new.  Special thanks to Jeff, and my case manager Lee they could not have been any better to work with.

HP Recommended
I love my HP Spectre, it was the best laptop ever.
Till i got the same problem, dc port just 1 month ago.
I think it was manufacture problem, cause it happen everywhere.. They ask me to replace motherboard for just dc port issue. Dont have enough money to repair it, so i think i need to warn my colleague about this beautiful hp laptop..
HP Recommended

Hi @Alfri,  

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.  

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.  

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.