Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 running hot

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Spectre x360 notebook that is soon two years old. It hasn't been used a lot, but recently I have taken it into active use again.

I'm experiencing unexpected shutdowns, and it seems to be running hot. I have noticed a slight burning or plastic melting smell just now while it is charging.

This seems to be the same problem as https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Spectre-X360-motherboard-bu..., only they have had hardware actually burn.

What can I do to fix this problem before the notebook dies completely?

2 REPLIES 2
Intern
Intern
118 108 0 21
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should be able to hear the fan running and if it's hot and the fan is not running, you should turn it off and get it serviced. You don't want to fry the cpu.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
118 108 0 21
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also happened to think of another potential issue. The air vents on the x360 are on the underside also and if you have it lying on your lap, they can get covered up. I've noticed that especially if you have the charger plugged in, the back end of the laptop will get really warm, so try and keep it on a hard surface so that the bottom is held up by the feet to give access to the air vents.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation