Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP TS Envy ssd upgrade

HP Recommended
HP TS Envy 15.6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I would like to upgrade my laptop HDD to SSD. I am considering the Samsung 860 Evo and the Samsung 970 Evo.

My laptop tends to be slow when booting and launching applications, these are the main factor why i wanted the upgrade.

Now, the questions are:

1. Which of the SSDs mentioned is compatible with my laptop?

2. Do i need to increase my ram as well to make it faster? (currently it has 8gb of ram)

3. Are there other stuff that i need to know to increase my laptop's performance?

Thank you in advance and more power to this forum!

Other infos you might need:

M/N: 15-ae116TX
P/N: P6M17PA#UF

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,200 41,450 4,526 11,873
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ekryztof wrote:

Hi, I would like to upgrade my laptop HDD to SSD. I am considering the Samsung 860 Evo and the Samsung 970 Evo.

My laptop tends to be slow when booting and launching applications, these are the main factor why i wanted the upgrade.

Now, the questions are:

1. Which of the SSDs mentioned is compatible with my laptop?

2. Do i need to increase my ram as well to make it faster? (currently it has 8gb of ram)

3. Are there other stuff that i need to know to increase my laptop's performance?

Thank you in advance and more power to this forum!

Other infos you might need:

M/N: 15-ae116TX
P/N: P6M17PA#UF

If your OS is the original installation, chances are that you need to clean up your c:\TMP folder to return your notebook to its original speedy state. Delete all of the files that allow in that folder. You will see a great difference in responsiveness once you do this.  Disk cleanup in Windows 10.

Installing another 8 GB will not make your notebook faster.

Installing an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD will make the notebook so quick you will not believe it is the same notebook.  Either the Samsung 860 EVO   or  the Samsung EVO 970 work. The EVO 970 is quicker than the 860 EVO.

You will need to open the base to ensure that M.2 slot is present before purchasing the M.2 SSD.

All you will need is a precision jewelers P1 Philips screwdriver, a plastic spudger tool and some patience to remove the base enclosure.

Remove and replace videos

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7771345&MEID=326C208C-7024-4005-81E2-473CAF586C5B

Parts locator

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7771345&MEID=B28DAB29-0A4E-4581-8FB8-07CE898A9C3C

M.2_SSD.png

You can install the new M.2 SSD and then use the recovery media to install a fresh Windows 10 OS complete with all drivers.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. Is there any other way of knowing if my laptop has a M.2 slot present in my laptop other than opening it? I haven't tried opening a laptop before and it kinda scare me doing so without a professional help. 

I just did what you stated regarding the Disk Clean up and it took a just a few minutes,i didn't notice any significant change in the performance or maybe it needs more time of observation.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you say your programs are slow to load, what in terms of seconds does it take?

What are the programs you are loading that take a perceptible amount of time to load?

You will notice an amazing boost in performance with an M.2 SSD installed.

All I can tell you is that if you are afraid to do it yourself, then you will need to pay a shop to do it for you.  There are limits to the help we can provide from afar.

Opening the base enclosure to verify that the M.2 slot is present is necessary simply because in some cases HP did not make an M.2 slot available on a notebook's systemboard. Do you really want to purchase an SSD and then find out there is nothing present on the notebook's system board to connect it to?

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We opened the laptop and we found an m.2 slot.

Whenever we put the 970 evo it doesnt start. and when the 860 evo was inserted, there was no issues. 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you bought the Samsung EVO 976 and the EVO 860?

You will have to try the Windows command line utility called DiskPart to activate the SSD. 

There is a sticky at the top of this Notebook Hardware section where I explain how that is done.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-do-I-upgrade-my-notebook-t...

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
When the 970 Evo is plugged in, it just doesnt do anything when booted. The power button light doesnt come up. Seems dead. But when the 860 Evo was inserted, one click on the power button and it opens.

I guess I have to settle for now with the less speedy 860 Evo.

But I still have an issue with it when booting.
I didn't clone the hdd and made a clean install of windows 10 in the ssd.
When booting, it still open the windows in HDD. I know because of the background photo and there was a password required to enter, which i didnt set up at the SSD windows 10. I have to manually press F9 upon start up and choose the SSD to boot.
I tried changing the OS boot manager(UEFI) order, in the System configuration>boot options. But in Thd UEFI Boot Order i cant change the OS boot Manager to the SSD since it only shows the ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB whcich stands for my HDD.
I tried enabling the Legacy boot order, Notebook Hard drive set to the ssd.
I even formatted my 😧 partition of the HDD where the previous windows was installed, expecting that when it access the hdd C: and it doesnt find any os then it will move to the ssd. But to no avail, it request for a recovery of the formatted 😧 drive.
Any help will be much appreciated.. Sorry for the long post.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anyways, thank you sir for the help. You have been very informative. God bless.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation