Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dn4-2195us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

The HP TrueVision HD webcam suddenly stopped working (I admit, I haven't tried to use it in over a year) on my Pavilion dm4-2195us.   It no longer appears in devices , and I get "no webcam detected" message when trying to use Cyberlink software.

I assume I need to download a new driver??  Where do I  get the download (for Windows 7)?      

Thank you in advance!

Hope2018

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Hope2018

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting webcam issue. I appreciate your explanation about the issue which is more clear and crisp.

Let us work together and fix this issue right away.

Let's try these steps here:

1. Shut down your computer, and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery from the battery compartment. If your computer has a sealed battery that cannot be removed, then perform a reset as shown in the HP support document: Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset.

3. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, and then reinsert the battery and reconnect the power cord.

4. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to open.

5. Click Start, type Device Manager in the search field, and select Device Manager from the list provided.

6. If there is no Imaging devices category listed, select Action, then Scan for hardware changes.

Figure : Scan for hardware changes

Action drop-down with Scan for hardware changes selected
  7. If Device Manager does not recognize the webcam after the scan, Use Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time when the Webcam was working properly. If problems persist, the webcam may have become unplugged internally and requires service.

For further assistance, please refer to this HP document:- Click here

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

If this helps, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm afraid none of those things worked.  I removed/replaced battery and restarted but there still was no Imaging Devices at all in the Device Manager.  I tried all the "search for" actions in the Device Manager, but nothing.

From the post:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/where-can-I-get-the-HP-Truevision-Camera-Software-from/...  , I did what it suggested. . .     I ran this  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58600.exe  which installed Cybercam software  and installed this : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54964.exe

which downloaded the AMD HD Graphics Driver.  I went to the HP Recovery Manager and found both and installed them.  But nothing changed.

After reading several other posts, I then went to Device Manger --> Action --> Add Legacy Hardware --> searched for (and found!) Imaging Devices / Lexmark x422  (which I understand from all my research during this process that it is the original webcam).  I installed it.  

Now I have an Imaging Device category in the Device Manager, and the Lexmark x422 is listed there.  However, my webcam software  (Cyberlink YouCam) still will not recognize it.  Gave error: No webcam detected.  It locks up and won't let me into Settings.

I went to the Cyberlink website to install any updates to the YouCam software.  However, it won't let me install the update without first uninstalling the existing Cyberlink software.  I am hesitant to do that, incase the download fails - then I'd have no driver AND no software.

It appears that the Lenmark x422 Webcam driver is now installed, but my camera/webcam will not recognize it

What is the next step, please??

Thank you!

Hope2018

HP Recommended

@Hope2018,

Thanks for the update and it is great to have you back. Brilliant efforts and great technical skills displayed Kudos to you for that. As @sandytechy20 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

We need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related. Please backup your important data and reinstall Windows to factory settings and check if the issue gets resolved.

If the computer has no hardware issues then the webcam should start working. Other wise it is a hardware issue with the computer.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.