Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elite USB-C Docking Station TPA-B01
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am using an HP Elitebook 840 G6 with the USB-C Docking Station TPA-B01.  All drivers and firmware are up to date. (drivers and firmware on the dock have last been updated by HP years ago 😞 ).

Whenever I plug in a USB device into the dock it will not show up on the computer.

If I start up my computer while docked, I do not see the devices.  Dual displays and Ethernet work, (most of the time. :S)

If I unplug the USB-C connector from the laptop and replug, all the USB devices appear and work.

I tried with my Plantronics USB adapter and with my phone.

This has become an annoying daily ritual.

I checked the Thunderbolt app in Windows and it confirms that security is not needed for USB.  I also checked the BIOS and security is set to be open.

USB-C Dock on startup.PNGUSB-C Dock on replug.PNG

Is this just an annoying behavior of Thunderbolt?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have re-installed the latest drivers from 2018, then installed all newer drivers per the Hp Support Assistant, still had the same problem.  Then re-installed 2018 drivers and still had the same problem.  If the machine is hibernated or started from a cold boot the USB devices on the dock will not be loaded.

A Windows re-start does keep the USB ports active if already activated by a re-dock.

Also, displays and ethernet controller work fine without a re-dock.  It is only USB ports that won't be detected through dock.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.