Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 8760W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have found two options to upgrade my hp 8760w ( full hd, 17" so almost perfect, and also very cheap )

1) upgrade cpu to i72860qm  very fast as an i7 3rd generation ( price expensive like 130$)

2) replace motherboard with 8770w , not password, an official replcament by Hp, price 70$

I compared both motherboards ( pictures ) and seems identical with any sign different !

Can you tell me somethingo more ? 

8/12/2019

[ solution has been founded,  as suggested by Mr Huffer, trasplanted   the monitor to new motherboard with case incorporated , altough it would be not so complicated to trasplant every parts, but requires analyse and plan for more daies , to do the righ things]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would use the case and keyboard that looks better/newer and do the build accordingly. But it is more work to transplant the motherboard than the screen. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It's at your risk...certainly possible it can be done but it is not something HP will comment on one way or the other. 

HP Recommended

So no one shared this option, as the both motherbord looks like twins, and and 8770 accept also cpu i7 3rd generation. 

Anyway, the machine are too similar to suppose are differents , motherboard also too, ergo it's the same board but different in some way inside , I should double check the installation screw. Regards.

HP Recommended

If it were mine it's a risk I would take but I would understand that nobody can guarantee it. Check mounting hole location to be sure nothing shorts out and also check the placement of ports to be sure your case has a hole to access all the ports on the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

The motherboard is exactly the same like the precedent model, it's a twin, 8770w is newer model but same model.

I bought this motherboard tested, and any suggestion to install it?

It comes with the case  included  so I have two options.

Desinstall the monitor from older case or installing just the new motherboard on old case with already monitor installed? 

It should be delivered by monday 9 

And if I will be succed i get my i7 3rd generation much better than 2nd generation . thank you for your attention

HP Recommended

I would use the case and keyboard that looks better/newer and do the build accordingly. But it is more work to transplant the motherboard than the screen. 

HP Recommended

Yesterday I received my package and today I put myself to work on.

Few daies ago I disassembly my hp8760 for routine maintenence and got the chance to analize the operation.

I put in count both operation trasplant the monitor and the motherboard , and it looked same operation of steps.

I decided to follow your advice and removed the monitor and put on my new case.

Then I had to trasplant my gpu etc, installed my old i7 3rd...

As usually I had to repeat the procedure 2 or 3 times, for some complications, but at the end I have got  new hardware and so new computer , I hope much better.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.