cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HP WiFi card whitelist

HP Recommended
Envy 15-k019nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello. I decided to upgrade WiFi card (Atheros AR9485 to something like Intel ac 7265) in my HP Envy Laptop. I'm aware of supported WiFi whitelist build in BIOS, so I searched for modded BIOS for this model (latest F.57 Rev.A), but did't find anything matching. Or maybe HP does not whitelist WiFi cards anymore?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,037 113,218 18,220 27,802
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP never published what models had whitelists.

Yours does not, but it may only have one wifi antenna cable and there are no dual band HMC wifi cards where both the wifi and bluetooth will work with only one antenna cable.

So, this is the situation...

This model Intel 7260 wifi card will work fine in your PC if it has two antenna cables connected to the Atheros card in there now.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

If it only has one antenna cable, the wifi will work, but the bluetooth will not.

You have to connect the antenna cable to the wifi card's Main antenna terminal to get the best reception.

Below is the link to the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409752

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer and for the service manual! I was originaly worried that bios will prevent laptop from boot with unlisted card. My model has two antenna cables, so I will try to get "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 "   HP Part # 710661-001, as I need ac WiFi and bluetooth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,037 113,218 18,220 27,802
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You're all set then!

How we find out about whitelists is all from forum member feedback after they upgrade a wifi card.

This is what I have stored away in my brain after the last 10 years...

All HP notebooks made in 2011 or earlier have BIOS whitelists. That would be those with the sandy bridge chipsets and older.

Some (very few) notebooks made in 2012 do not have BIOS whitelists...ones with the Intel 3rd gen core processors.

Most notebooks with the Intel 4th gen processors and newer do not have BIOS whitelists with very few exceptions.

Please reply back and let us know how your notebook's wifi card upgrade project went.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation