Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Z BOOK G3 T7V62EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Can you tell me, which is the maximum capacity of a HDD that can be mounted in a single slot (2.5 in storage bays hard drives) from a hp z book g 3 laptop? Can a 5 tb hdd be mounted?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no stated limit as to HDD capacity.  The limit is whatever is the maximum on 2.5" drives.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There is no stated limit as to HDD capacity.  The limit is whatever is the maximum on 2.5" drives.

HP Recommended

Can you tell me, if it supports 2, 5-inch drives with a 15 mm thick HDD?

Thx!

HP Recommended

A 2.5-inch SATA hard drive actually measures 2.7 inches wide, 0.37 inch tall, and 3.96 inches long.   In metric, that is 68.6 mm wide, 9.4mm tall, and 100.6 mm long.

2.5 inch laptop drives are usually 7mm or 9.5 mm thick.

I am not aware of 2.5 drives that are 15 mm thick.

HP Recommended

There are laptop HDDs that have a thickness of 15 mm. I will send the following attached link : https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST5000LM000/dp/B01M0AADIX

HP Recommended

Did you not already post this question under another screen name? I have a Zbook 15 G3. I know there are 15mm 2.5 inch disks for blade servers, not for laptops. A 15mm thick hard drive will not fit in the provided caddy under the smart card reader. If you left off the smart card reader you still could not get the cover closed with that thick hard drive in there. 

They do make I believe up to 4 TB SATA SSDs. 

Only $1500:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B01G844OOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

I think 2.5 inch hard drives of 7 or 9.5mm are not bigger than 2 TB, There is just no room to get any more data on the little plates. The 15mm thick drives have more capacity because they stack additional platters in there. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.