Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Z BOOK G3 T7V62EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I would like to ask you three questions about upgrading your HP ZBOOK G 3 - T7V62EA:

1. Please specify if the WWAN slot in a HP Zbook G3 laptop supports a ssd cache?
2. If so, please specify which is the recommended capacity for a SSD that is used for caching in the WWAN slot if one of the slots has a 2.5 " HDD of 5 Terra?
3. Please specify if it is recommended to use a high-capacity ssd for the cache (for exemple 128 GB or 256 GB) to increase HDD speed?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the 15 inch Zbook G3 so fully familiar with its inner workings. 

The WWAN slot is only for WWAN. You have a pair of M.2 slots which can accept either a SATA-III or NVME/PCIe M.2 2280 form factor disk. I have my Zbook G3 set up with a 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD 500 gig for storage and then a 500 gig Samsung PM961 M.2 NVME disk as the bootdisk running the OS. 

You could use a standard 2.5 inch hard drive and then put a SATA M.2 disk in either of the M.2 slots and use the SATA M.2 with Intel Rapid Storage to accelerate the hard drive. You would wind up with performance not as good as even using the SATA M.2 as the primary boot drive. If you must use an accelerator get a small one as I believe you can only use up to about 32 gigs for acceleration cache. The balance of the disk can be used as storage but frankly that is a waste. 

PCIe/NVME M.2 disks are only very slightly more expensive than SATA M.2 disks. You really want to use the full potential of the machine so do your self a favor and get a PCIe/NVME M.2 disk and run Windows from it. The speed is something to behold. 4 or 5 times faster than a SATA M.2 which is itself 4 or 5 times faster than a SATA 2.5 inch SSD. A SSD-accelerated hard drive is only faster for startup and opening apps. Extended data transfer is no faster. It was a temporary diversion along the evolutionary path and frankly no reason to use it now. 

Intel Optane is coming into play now. The G3 Zbooks do not support it. Essentially, Optane is accelerator cache using PCIe/NVME disks. The Zbook G3 series only does acceleration with a SATA SSD and a mechanical hard drive. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have the 15 inch Zbook G3 so fully familiar with its inner workings. 

The WWAN slot is only for WWAN. You have a pair of M.2 slots which can accept either a SATA-III or NVME/PCIe M.2 2280 form factor disk. I have my Zbook G3 set up with a 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD 500 gig for storage and then a 500 gig Samsung PM961 M.2 NVME disk as the bootdisk running the OS. 

You could use a standard 2.5 inch hard drive and then put a SATA M.2 disk in either of the M.2 slots and use the SATA M.2 with Intel Rapid Storage to accelerate the hard drive. You would wind up with performance not as good as even using the SATA M.2 as the primary boot drive. If you must use an accelerator get a small one as I believe you can only use up to about 32 gigs for acceleration cache. The balance of the disk can be used as storage but frankly that is a waste. 

PCIe/NVME M.2 disks are only very slightly more expensive than SATA M.2 disks. You really want to use the full potential of the machine so do your self a favor and get a PCIe/NVME M.2 disk and run Windows from it. The speed is something to behold. 4 or 5 times faster than a SATA M.2 which is itself 4 or 5 times faster than a SATA 2.5 inch SSD. A SSD-accelerated hard drive is only faster for startup and opening apps. Extended data transfer is no faster. It was a temporary diversion along the evolutionary path and frankly no reason to use it now. 

Intel Optane is coming into play now. The G3 Zbooks do not support it. Essentially, Optane is accelerator cache using PCIe/NVME disks. The Zbook G3 series only does acceleration with a SATA SSD and a mechanical hard drive. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.