3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Thunderbolt Intermittent/not working

HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am currently having an issue with my thunderbolt dock. Most of the time it is not recognised although it charges my laptop. Most of the time when i boot up in the morning it flickers between my laptop screen and my external two monitors then just stops working completely. All my software and firmware are up to date.

Is there anything else i have missed and/or is there a fix for this?

7 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
6512 1212 2178
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Benire,

First let us go through all the steps of setting up the dock. You might have already performed these, so they are more like questions to see if we can get to a resolution of the problem.

Here is a guide I am following:

https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/265658.pdf

Here iss where I am looking at the drivers for your PC:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=8693774&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

I see BIOS from (7 nov. 2016)

2 Firmware updates for dock and thunderbolt

Intel thunderbolt secure connect ( 18 july 2016)   uninstall older version first if this version is newer

Graphics drivers for your graphics cards

Audio driver for docks

ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (xHCI) Driver (1 feb. 2017)

ethernet drivers

HP Elite USB-C Docking Station Driver (American, International)

Here i see a couple of firmware updates for docking station which are not in the list above:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-dock-with-thunderbolt-3/11122586

I would try to update all other drivers on your laptop, you can see the devices in device manager if you are not sure of the exact device on your PC (such as network)

Let me know,

David

0 Kudos
ggnabasik Tutor
Tutor
12 0 3
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had this combination since June 1, 2016 and I have lost literally hundreds of hours tussling with these products.  The laptop standalone is fine.  Once the dock is in play, all heck breaks loose.  I cannot describe the frustration with these products they are so bad together.  The point of a dock is to be able to plug in and unplug when needed to go mobile and not have to plugin wires every time, and to support multiple monitors.  I cannot successfully unplug and replug without doing it several times with the dock connector, unplugging peripherals from the dock, and then finally rebooting.  What good is a dock if you have to reboot every time you plug in or unplug?

HP support used to be good.  I've had several tickets opened and even had my original laptop replaced and the dock cable.  HP refuses to accept that they have a crap product out there and those of us who trusted this new firewire and HP laptops are left holding the bag.  I have updated every driver/softpaq known to man for these products on my own and at the direction of HP support.  NOTHING HAS WORKED!!!  I highly recommend you use other products.  Colleagues have the elitebook dock and they have no problems.  I really wish HP could return to their support of yesteryear where you had people who actually took the time to understand the problem and respond in conversational language instead of cutting/pasting the obvious.  I am so disappointed in HP and can understand why the company is going south.  Sorry to hijack your question here.  

If you find something that works please post so I can try.  

Thanks,

Glenn

0 Kudos
Benire Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Glen,

You have hit the preverbial "nail on the head" as it were. Any help that i have recieved has been to install softpaq and updated drivers that i had already installed. I had bassically given up and as of tuesday it all just started working again for no apparent reason. I reimaged my machine 3 times and installed all drivers ect. 3 times to no avail. The only thing that is not working now is the ethernet port which i can live without as i have wifi in the office.

Let me know what you have done and i will have a look and see if i can help.

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
ggnabasik Tutor
Tutor
12 0 3
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have done as many updates as I can find including the ones from the HP person on this thread.  Softpaq Download Manager seems to be out of sync with what I hear from HP support people.

Here's the last communication I received from support which I did and still have issues:

In order to identify the issue accurately and provide prompt service I would request you to perform following troubleshooting steps:

1. Ensure in BIOS under advanced / port options / ensure thunderbolt security level is set for No security.

1. Please update the BIOS of the laptop to the latest version.

1. Please update Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver using the link given below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_183810_1

Instructions:

• Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).
  • Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

1. Please Intel Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility (With dock connected) using the link given below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_161904_1&swEnvOid=4060

Instructions:

• Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

1. Please update Intel Graphics Driver using the link given below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_183769_1

Instructions:

1. Please update ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver (With dock connected) using the link given below:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_183527_1

Instructions:

1. Please update Broadcom Ethernet Controller Driver (With dock connected) using the link given below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_179768_1

• If a message box titled Program Compatibility Assistant is displayed after the installation is complete, click This program installed correctly.

• Restart the system after the installation is complete.

NOTE: It is recommended to remove the previous driver before installing new driver.

1. Please update Conexant USB Audio for Docks Driver (With dock connected) using the link given below:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_183946_1

Instructions:

1. Please update ASMedia ASM1042A Firmware Update (With dock connected) using the link given below:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=9764624&swItemId=ob_167955_1&swEnvOid=405...

Instructions:

0 Kudos
Benire Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Exactly the same thing they sent me. The softpaq updates are also out of date. When you try install some of them come back telling you that you have already the latest version.

It is so frustrating. I have just tried to find a fix for my dock ethernet problem and i am starting to feel my blood pressure rise again at the lack of transparent help haha

Ben

0 Kudos
ggnabasik Tutor
Tutor
12 0 3
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They sent me a new cable a while back.  That seemed to stablize things from the original problems but there are still a bunch of them.  I found that I had to go into NVidia and change the refresh rate on a screen to stop the constantly flashing.  Right now my USB keyboard works maybe 50% of the time after I connect.  I have to reboot the dock, unplug/plug both the dock and/or the keyboard and pray.

I really wish I had purchased Dell...

0 Kudos
lfourquet Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have been going through the same issues since I was given an upgraded computer at work. I am not sure how HP can sell this system, as it seems like outright fraud to sell a system that doesn't function correctly. The whole point of this laptop is to have a desktop replacement that is also mobile, that means a working dock is a REQUIREMENT.

I have gone back and forth to our IT department at work so many times, and have lost so much work, been frustrated to no end by this PC, that if it was mine I'd be suing HP, or demanding my money back, or a working equivalent system. 

If I made decisions about which manufacturers computers we use at work, I'd be sending back every HP Zbook 15 G13 in our whole corporation back for refunds, and threaten to end business with them and change to Dell. To make matters worse, the support HP provides is next to none - support is not posting canned messages with links to the latest drivers and firmware - it's working to provide a solution, either by fixing the laptop/dock combo, or replacing it with an equivalent or better model. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation