Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio x360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking at one of these and had a few questions. 

I have a ThinkPad X1 Extreme where I disable the dGPU in Ubuntu because it really doesn't get used and causes more heat / fan noise. Due to how was it was designed, the HDMI and TB3 go through the dGPU and I lose the ability to use external monitors when it is disabled.

I'm trying to find out if the HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 with a dGPU has this same issue or if the HDMI and TB3 video go through the iGPU as well. That way HDMI and TB3 would still work if the dGPU is disabled.

I've read conflicting information: one thing says you'd need to go with a model having absolutely no dGPU, just iGPU, to accomplish this; another thing says, yes, the HDMI and TB3 video go through both the iGPU and dGPU.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am not sure what you have going on your Lenovo with Linux but the idea that external ports only "go through" one video chip in a hybrid video system is not quite accurate. You are probably using a very basic graphics driver for the integrated video in Linux. HDMI and Thunderbolt external graphics will work fine whichever video is active on the Zbook Studio x360 G5. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I am not sure what you have going on your Lenovo with Linux but the idea that external ports only "go through" one video chip in a hybrid video system is not quite accurate. You are probably using a very basic graphics driver for the integrated video in Linux. HDMI and Thunderbolt external graphics will work fine whichever video is active on the Zbook Studio x360 G5. 

HP Recommended

Well, not all laptops are design such that ports go through one chip or another, but the Lenovo certainly is and it really isn't related to Linux so much. You can hook it up to an external monitor in Windows, then turn off the dGPU (GTX 1050 Ti) off in Device Manager, and the external monitor will no longer receive an video input through the HDMI or TB3. So in the case of the X1E, it appears the external connectors only go through the dGPU. This may not be the case for other laptops, which is what I'm trying to dileniate so I can avoid in the future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.