Highlighted
Clary_1980 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP battery only charges when lid is closed

I have a HP amd a8 laptop - approximately 15 months old. Over the past 3 months I have noticed that it is not charging when plugged in. I used to be able to fully charge it, unplug it and work for 2 hours plus before having to recharge it. I would then plug it back in to top up the power. 3 months ago I noticed when I was doing this it was no longer topping up the power. In fact, the red light (which normally stays on when charging) would only flash once - and then go white and stay white; draining  the remaining power very quickly. I have tried other charges but to no avail. The laptop battery will charge when the laptop is off (lid closed) and in sleep mode. The battery port does feel a little loose but I don't think this is the problem as when I take the battery out and plug the main power in the laptop will power up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clary

1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP battery only charges when lid is closed

Hey @Clary_1980

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I understand that you are having issues with the battery on your Notebook. 

Does the battery indicator LED, located near the power icon come on at all?

Please make sure that the AC adapter cable is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. 

Please try the Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge and the Testing and Calibrating the Battery documentation. 

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

When you do the hardware testing for the battery, please make sure to repost with the results. 

If you feel this post has helped you, could help others joining in and looking for a solution or you just want to say cheers, please click the Accept as Solution button and/or the Thumbs Up

If you require further assistance, please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) and I would be more than happy to do my best to provide another solution. 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation