11 7 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP envy touchscreen 15 broken hinge

envy

Design flaw on HP envy, the hinges break on all sizes, both 15 and 17 inch,

Any one up for a class action suit? 

Design flaw means the product does not do what it was designed to do. This does NOT require warranty.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Retired Omar-E
Retired
10015 6655 119 419
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@wiz188

Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
haleysue1120 Tutor
Tutor
12 10 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought my HP Envy in 2014 and have had the same issue now for about two years. It occured shortly after the warranty went out, perfect timing. Have been in school ever since I bought the laptop, was the reason for the purchase, and have had zero time or funds to resolve it. Now that I am finished with my degree I have time to breath and deal with this issue. Up until now I have had to use it as a desktop rather than its purpose, a laptop. 1/3 of my screen has gone black due to what I assume is damage to the video cable due to this hinge problem. I called HP today and tried to see if there is any kind of resolution that can be found for this issue since it is clearly not a consumer caused problem. After this occured the computer got docked, left open, and connected to an external monitor so I could have some way to complete assignments. During my call today it was expressed there was no resolution for the issue other than me forking out more money, after paying nearly $1,000 at the initial purchase. I brought up that there have been numerous reports of this occuring on the forums, so I don't understand why this hasn't been looked into before and the representative seemed to not even have knowledge of the forums existing. Its incredibly frustrating having this happen in the first place, then having to make it through nursing school with a dysfunctioning laptop, then contacting multiple representatives expressing my issue and being told there is nothing that can really be done other than me paying to fix it--even though its obviously a manufacturer/structural issue that should not have happened. I completely understand I am way out of warranty and do not expect a fix free of charge. I do, however, expect that HP be aware of this issue or there be a way for me to report it and that the representatives at least know of these forums.

0 Kudos
wiz188 Tutor
Tutor
11 7 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Have still not been contacted by an HP rep as you promised . Why not??????
0 Kudos
wiz188 Tutor
Tutor
11 7 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HelaeySue,

This issue was stated as a recall because of the broken hinge design in 2008. 

Please contact me so we can put together a coalition of affected customers , and, if not reasonably resolved, litigate this issue as a class action suit.

I, too, spend over three hours with HP customer service in some third world country, was repeatedly misunderstood ((because they don't speak English as a first language)  transferred multiple times, disconnected in transfer multiple times. In fact, I called so many times that eventually the same service persons began recognizing my voice and apologizing for their poor service.

Again, please contact me asap. Together we will document this level of HP poor service and work together to get it reasonably resolved by HP fixing the broken hinges at no charge, because of their design failure.

Wizard188

0 Kudos
haleysue1120 Tutor
Tutor
12 10 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have sent you a PM. When I spoke with HP customer service I questioned them as to why this is occuring to so many consumers, not knowing yet that it had happened years prior. Speaking to the people I did, they acted as though it was a new issue and few people were experiencing it and since I am out of warranty I will have to just pay out of pocket to fix the issue. I wasn't as frustrated then as I am now knowing that this has been a reoccurring problem. Thank you for bringing that up.
0 Kudos
pharmania Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got the same issue with the right hinge. My laptop has never fallen, it' gently handled, I even have it fixed on my desk. Now I can see that hundreds of the customers who bought the same product are suffering the same problem. SERIOUSLy, HP IS NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR POOR DESIGN??????? I bought the product while at the US, and I'm in Egypt now. I can't afford either buy a new one or the horrific repair cost. The laptop is like new, I can't believe that this is happening. I need a real help, and I won't let this go! 

0 Kudos
Retired Omar-E
Retired
10015 6655 119 419
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@pharmania

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation