Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP envy x360 15-bp101ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 12GB DDR4 memory in my laptop, and according to the manual all 15-bp1xx models have a fixed 4GB slot soldered and accessible. This leaves me with one 8GB removable slot. Given my laptop runs an 8th generation Intel i7 processor, can I upgrade the 8GB slot to a 16GB one and achieve a total of 20GB? I use my laptop for web/app development, design and light-weight gaming and I want to know if it can handle the upgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

The Memory section on page 1-2 says that on your model (15-bp1xxx series) with discrete graphics (which you have) max memory is 12 gigs...the 4 gig onboard and then an 8 gig module. It recognizes you can install a 16 gig module on the UMA (integrated) models and will have 16 gigs total, and if you add a 4 gig module to that series you get 8. So reading between the lines, what I take away is that if you install a 16 gig module the BIOS deactivates the onboard 4 gig module so you have 16 gigs total. But that is for the UMA video models. Not yours. So the Manual is ambiguous here. Having seen a lot of these Manuals and based on some not so small amount of experience with these things I am going to say for sure your model would accept a 16 gig DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM. On most DDR4 HP laptops with Intel Core 6th gen and higher, the Manual does not mention 16 gig modules but they have been proven over and over again to work. So I think a 16 gig works in your case but I am going to say its 50-50 whether you wind up with 16 or 20 gigs total system memory. 

If you do this let us know how it goes so we can increase the information available to Forum users. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

The Memory section on page 1-2 says that on your model (15-bp1xxx series) with discrete graphics (which you have) max memory is 12 gigs...the 4 gig onboard and then an 8 gig module. It recognizes you can install a 16 gig module on the UMA (integrated) models and will have 16 gigs total, and if you add a 4 gig module to that series you get 8. So reading between the lines, what I take away is that if you install a 16 gig module the BIOS deactivates the onboard 4 gig module so you have 16 gigs total. But that is for the UMA video models. Not yours. So the Manual is ambiguous here. Having seen a lot of these Manuals and based on some not so small amount of experience with these things I am going to say for sure your model would accept a 16 gig DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM. On most DDR4 HP laptops with Intel Core 6th gen and higher, the Manual does not mention 16 gig modules but they have been proven over and over again to work. So I think a 16 gig works in your case but I am going to say its 50-50 whether you wind up with 16 or 20 gigs total system memory. 

If you do this let us know how it goes so we can increase the information available to Forum users. 

HP Recommended

Update:

So I made the upgrade and replaced the 8GB piece with a 16GB one. The system at first recognised 20GB of memory and I was able to regularly use my notebook for almost 2 days. After that a blue screen appeared with a memory management error. I was hoping it had nothing to do with the RAM upgrade but the blue screen continuously appeared once I use my notebook for 5 minutes. As a result I returned the 16GB piece and inserted the 8GB one again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.