Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15q-ds0015TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have upgraded my laptop to include SSD which runs with PCIe interface and gives me 1.6GBPS R/W speeds on benchmark tests. My OS was earlier installed on the stock HDD and I migrated it to SSD. Even though my laptop performs much better after booting but what's disappointing is my boot time has not improved and takes 30-40 sec to fully load to my desktop. Is it that my laptop is waiting for HDD to spin up before loading? I haven't tried removing HDD and boot as I don't want to mess up with hardware. My SSD is BASIC with GPT partition and HDD is Dynamic with MBR. Could this also cause conflict?

Thanks for your help!

Disk Management.PNG

Task Manager.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SuperJhari 

I have PCs that mix GPT with MBR and that does no pose any booting issues.

My suggestion is that you disconnect the HDD and see if that makes a difference.  If it does, then Windows is likely indexing the HDD as part of the boot process and that is slowing down the whole boot.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi @WAWood Thanks for your reply.  Based on your inputs I tried the below steps but nothing helped:

1. Disabled indexing in each drive and disabled search services altogether.

2. Disabled HDD and CD ROM drive from device manager (not physically though) and ensured it is not showing in Disk Management.

3. Clean boot Windows 10 disabling all services from System Configuration Boot Menu.

However none worked and boot time is still at 40 sec. Please suggest your feedback.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@SuperJhari 

If you have disconnected the HDD and the boot is still very long, then the most likely issue is that you are loading a lot of stuff at startup.

You need to go into SAFE mode and see if that makes a difference:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes booting to SAFE mode and the boot time indeed drastically reduced to 18 sec (I expected <10sec for PCIe NVM SSD). However I always have kept minimal options at startup and I have attached the image.

The only change I did to my laptop apart from installing SSD was to add 8GB RAM in addition to stock 4 GB RAM and is running in dual channel mode.

I am running 3rd party antivirus too. Would this also be causing slow boot?

Thanks!Startup.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.