Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP zbook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a spare ram memory of 4GB DDR3-1600 that I would like to install on my computer. The computer already has a 8 Gb DDR3-1600 installed. Is there a problem if I put the 4Gb ram in one of the free slots that are down the service cover and get a total of 12Gb?

Reviewing the manual I found that there are four possible configurations:

- 32768-MB total system memory (8192-MB×4)
    - 16384-MB total system memory (8192-MB×2 or 4096-MB×4)
    - 8192-MB total system memory (8192-MB×1, 4096-MB×2)
    - 4096-MB total system memory (4096-MB×1)

I can't think of the reason that only those four configurations are indicated. These are the quick specs. of the computer:

HP zbook 15 g2

CPU: i7-4700MQ

Storage: ssd 250 Gb

Memory: 1x8Gb DDR3-1600

Kind regards.

Alejandro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the laptop could run 12 gigs BUT the memory is not DDR3-1600 it is 

Four customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots Support for DDR3L 1600-MHz PC3-12800 dual channel memory.

So if the "spare" memory you have is DDR3-1600 1.5 volt it may not indeed probably will not work with the low-voltage memory already in it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes the laptop could run 12 gigs BUT the memory is not DDR3-1600 it is 

Four customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots Support for DDR3L 1600-MHz PC3-12800 dual channel memory.

So if the "spare" memory you have is DDR3-1600 1.5 volt it may not indeed probably will not work with the low-voltage memory already in it. 

HP Recommended
Thank you for the information, sadly the ram that I wanted to install is not a DDR3L. It is good that I asked about the matter before doing something silly with the computer.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.