HP Recommended

HP6720T Chrome Book 2GB Intel Celeron 40HD

HP6720T
Chrome OS

Can this unit be upgraded from 2GB to 4GB,

is it 32-bit or 64-bit???

when I Google it, I can't find difinitive answer

can HD be upgraded to 128 SSD or bigger

and can I load Linux Ubuntu or MInt on it???

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Level 17
Level 17
41,576 41,361 6,543 11,392
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you buy this at Frys? They had them for sale last weekend and I came in to the Frys here in my town and blew the whistle. They had them advertised as having a Celeron 1000M processor which is not good but at least fairly new. In fact it has a much older 32 bit single core Celeron processor which I think is soldered to the board. The "T" designation means it is a Thin client. These were not designed to be Windows laptops. They were meant to work in a server distributed OS environment and not as a standalone computer. 

There is a single DDR2 slot so yes it could be upgraded to 4 gigs DDR2, but a 4 gig DDR2 module costs about $50. The refurbisher did install a SATA hard drive in them so theoretically you could install a SATA SSD in its place but the chipset is so old it will not be able to run an SSD optimally. Yes you can install a Linux distro on it and that frankly might be the best use for it. Frys assured me they were going to pull these and not sell them because the ad was so misleading. 

Am interested in hearing a bit more about your experience. 

0 Kudos
StanleyUsa
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Provost, Thanks for the quick reply, yes and no, yes, I saw it on Fry's Electronic post, on sale for $99 aka $100. ; I wanted it because my Samsung Chromebook went south, and it's a discard now because after checking it would cost more to fix it then buying a new one. I think the battery on-board is gone. I liked the Chromebook by Samsung, but I was told it's basically a Version of their cell phone CPU /RAM / ETC. I just want something cheap, Linux Mint or Ubuntu to surf Internet, check email, buy some stuff online, and watch YouTube. Nothing work related. I just don't want a big price or bulkyness, I do want cheap and Linux. I found the Chromebook was not perfect, opening documents the Google converter would mess up all the tabs. I'm not going to buy the HP from Fry's I think. I was going to buy some of the other cheap ones, Fry's has one for $69 1GB ram and 32GB SSD I think but it was running W10. I don't want anything to do with Windows. I was going to get that $69 unit and load Linux MInt on it, but not sure how if if it can be done. Thanks again, 

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
41,576 41,361 6,543 11,392
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stay away from those super cheap Frys doorbusters. You might be better off buying used on eBay from a reputable seller. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation