Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7-6b00et Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use currently a HP Pavilion dv7-6b00et Entertainment Notebook PC (HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC)
which I bought  at  2th January 2012. Its serial number is [edit] and  product number is A2T95EA#AB8 ;
It has orginally two units of Hard Drive (HHD) "TOSHIBA MK1059GSM" and each of them has 1 TB (931.51 GB) capacity (totally 2 TB). The Operating System of my computer is Windows 10 (64bit).
I lost one of this hard drives in consequence of  a hand wallop, so I will buy a new one.
By the way, to raise the speed in my studies, I would like to change / renew both of hard drive units
with solid-state-drive (SSD) units of same capacity (each one 1 TB, tottaly 2 TB)  or higher capacities.
To find out if my computer's hardware supports two units of 1TB (or higher) SSD, I need to ask you before buying
new SSD units.
Thanks in advance for your helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you can install any capacity 7mm or 9.5mm thick 2.5 inch SATA HDD or SSD on the market and I believe SSDs can be found up to 4 TB and hard drives up to 2 TB. Use a 2.5 inch SATA SSD for the primary drive (bootdisk) and a mechanical hard drive for the secondary disk. The cost and speed of an SSD are not really needed for a secondary disk used just for storage. The one exception might be if you do video editing and use the second drive as the source for files you are working on. I suggest Samsung 860 Evo although there are lots of very good SSDs on the market these days. Good luck. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes you can install any capacity 7mm or 9.5mm thick 2.5 inch SATA HDD or SSD on the market and I believe SSDs can be found up to 4 TB and hard drives up to 2 TB. Use a 2.5 inch SATA SSD for the primary drive (bootdisk) and a mechanical hard drive for the secondary disk. The cost and speed of an SSD are not really needed for a secondary disk used just for storage. The one exception might be if you do video editing and use the second drive as the source for files you are working on. I suggest Samsung 860 Evo although there are lots of very good SSDs on the market these days. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Huffer, thanks a lot; the answer you gave me encouraged me.

I was thinking like you, but I needed guidance from an experienced person.
The restrictions on the configuration of disk drives at the bottom of page 5 of the manual
"Maintenance and Service Guide for HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC" (c03043778.pdf),
had made me very disquited / unsettled.

With the boldness you've given me, I'm thinking about putting your advice into practice now.
I will need more of a recommendation at this exact point:

I have already ordered a "Silicon Power Ace A55 1 TB Serial ATA III 2.5" SSD
and I have not received it yet. I ordered this product because it is much cheaper than others.
In fact, we don't know much about the quality of this product. It is not a well-known product in Turkey.
According to your suggestion, I can cancel the order of this product to buy Samsung Evo instead.

Should I cancel my SSD order of "Silicon Power Ace A55 1 TB Serial ATA III 2.5"?

What do you recommend me to do? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Actually I have used Silicon Power SSDs on laptops where the person I was helping had a very limited budget and have not had a problem with them. They don't quite perform at the top of the heap but for the price they are a very good value. 

HP Recommended

Thanks again to Huffer.  I've just installed 2 units new SSDs to my old HP Pavilion dv7 notebook. Both of them are Samsung SSD 860 QVO; one of them is 1TB and other one is 2 TB. My system works well for know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.