Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4440s
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,
Can  u please tell me more obout this problem :

HARD DRIVE LONG DST CHECK : FAILED

FAILURE ID : U7W7BD-0008L0-8D4WW1-61CV03
PRODUCT ID : B6B16AB

Thaink you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That means the hard drive has errors. Normally a failure of the long test but passage of the short test means the hard drive has bad sectors...places on the platters that will not allow writing to or reading from. You can dodge around the problem for a little while with chkdsk to move the data to good sectors and direct the OS not to try to access the bad spots but that only works for a little while. Basically, while you can, BACK UP and did I say BACK UP. Start planning for a new hard drive...where do I back up? What kind of new drive do I want? How am I going to load the operating system, apps and data back onto a new clean hard drive? We can help with all these questions if you wish. Hard drive replacement is not as difficult or expensive as you likely fear.  

Post back with any more questions and let us know where you live (country). 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That means the hard drive has errors. Normally a failure of the long test but passage of the short test means the hard drive has bad sectors...places on the platters that will not allow writing to or reading from. You can dodge around the problem for a little while with chkdsk to move the data to good sectors and direct the OS not to try to access the bad spots but that only works for a little while. Basically, while you can, BACK UP and did I say BACK UP. Start planning for a new hard drive...where do I back up? What kind of new drive do I want? How am I going to load the operating system, apps and data back onto a new clean hard drive? We can help with all these questions if you wish. Hard drive replacement is not as difficult or expensive as you likely fear.  

Post back with any more questions and let us know where you live (country). 

HP Recommended

Hi provost. First, thank you for the details in this response. The extra information about what this means allowed me to visualize the problem.

How would you back up? My computer just gave me the same problem and I have some pictures on there that I would like to save.

Once I install a new hard drive, how do I load the operating system? Is there something I have to do before replacing the hard drive?

Thank you in advance for the support. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.