cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhotax
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Hard disk error ("serious hard drive" warrning). Changing Hard drive to... what?

HP Recommended
Compaq CQ58-215EW
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a Notebook. When I turning on there is a warrning message about ... "critical disk error, quickly do backup," etc.

So I will need to change the hard drive.

1. Is it have to be exactly the same hard drive that previous one? The same type, the same capacity?

When I use "recovery system" (or something like that) would there be a problem like "we can't restore system because there is a different hardware"?

2. I need to do "recovery disk". I'm going to use USB Flash memory.

Why should I use "HP Recovery Manager", where there is (in windows 😎 simply "create recovery disk" or something like that.

What are disadvantages of using builded in Windows function?

1 REPLY 1
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 44,465 7,168 12,712
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can use any 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or even an SSD. You do not have to duplicate the original device. 

If you make a generic Windows recovery disk it will take a lot more effort to find all the drivers you need to complete the installation. If you make an HP recovery disk all the drivers will be included. But it is not generally a good idea to try to make a restore disk from a hard drive having issues. You just copy the errors. Suggest a clean install of Windows 10 from restore disk made from Windows Media Creation Tool site....free download. If you get a usb adapter you can connect the original drive once you get Windows installed on the new drive and copy the drivers and data that you want to keep over to the new disk. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation