Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavillion 23p030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC froze on me and when rebooted message came up warning of hard disk failure and to run an f2 test. Memory was okay but hard disk test failed. message on on both tests stated 'smart check not installed' also 'long DST not insalled' and 'short DST not installed'.   This PC  not that old and upgraded (if that's the correct word) to W10 end of last year. Some problems installing W10  but it eventually installed without any issues. 

Any ideas?

PS -apologies for wrong Board heading but this message is  sent from my ancientlaptop and I couldn't get it to change from 'notebook' and click on 'desktop'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.  Not sure what a SATA controller is but I have a very good PC clinic at the end of my road with a good reputation for curing sick computers.  I will give them a call if this happens again

Your back up advice is a good one - I keep eveything that I need to keep on 2 separate external hard drives that I only connect to my PC when I need to.  Always having back up is something that I have learned in my 7 decades of life! And I would never trust this 'cloud' stuff to look after my files.

cheers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello SEDNA and welcome to the forum,

I read your post a couple of times and I came to the conlusion that the things with your HDD don't seem to look very well. My suggestion is, if you have the option, extract the HDD from the laptop bay and try to connect it as an external to a PC. You could do that by connecting the drive with a SATA-USB cable or by putting the disk into an external case. Check if the drive would spin up and would be recognized properly. If not, then it has probably failed and needs replacement.

Good luck!

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended

Many thanks indeed for your prompt response.

First of all, the problem is with my PC not my laptop   - I sent the message from my aging laptop and I couldn't get it to click onto  'desktop'  -it was stuck on notebook.

Secondly, when I tried out my PC this morning after taking same time to boot up it now seems to be behaving itself - indeed this response is typed in from my PC.

I checked in 'disk management' and everything listed there was stated as being 'healthy'. Scans from both my AVG and Malwarebytes (free addition) revealed no problems. Piriforn ccleaner only cleared a new 100Mbs of rubbish and Defrag indicated no issues.

the only issue seems to be that my internet keeps dropping out so I will need to look at that.

looks like I don't need a new PC - at least for now.  This one is only 18 months old   -as an Old Age Pensioner i can't afford that to happen too often! Thanks again for you help

HP Recommended

Hi again,

You are more then welcome. 🙂 I think you might get away with buying a new PC. 🙂

It is a good sign that the PC is working now, but you never know in which moment the error could re-appear. The problem with the Internet might be due to some errors in the operation of the PC itself.

I suspect that there is an issue with the SATA controller, but to be sure I guess, you have to check if the drive would give you the same error if you connect it to another SATA port. Probably, the motherboard of your PC has several SATA ports. You could unplug the HDD and connect it to some of them to see what happenes. My advice to you would be the following:

Always keep a backup of the most important files on another location just in case.

Have a great weekend.

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.  Not sure what a SATA controller is but I have a very good PC clinic at the end of my road with a good reputation for curing sick computers.  I will give them a call if this happens again

Your back up advice is a good one - I keep eveything that I need to keep on 2 separate external hard drives that I only connect to my PC when I need to.  Always having back up is something that I have learned in my 7 decades of life! And I would never trust this 'cloud' stuff to look after my files.

cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.