Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (324 Views)

Hard drive Short DST check failed

Product Name: pavillion15 notebook pc
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I recently replaced my HP battery after which i tried to calibrate it. But, whenever i start Extensive Hard disk test it shows the following problem:

Hard Drive Short DST check--- Failed

Hard Drive Smart Check---- Passed

Failure ID-- 9QD5A3-6NL83J-MFPWX6-6OUE0

What should i do??

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (275 Views)

Re: Hard drive Short DST check failed

Hi @Himanshu9001,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion Notebook and getting the start up error message failure ID. This error is DST Short Test Failure code. What that means is your Hard drive could be failing.

I recommend  the first thing you should do is back-up all your personal files etc as soon as you can.

Wondering if maybe reseating the Hard Drive would help.

After you reseat it I would run the Hardware Diagnostics again.

Please get back to me how this goes.

If this post helps you to resolve the issue you can click the Thumbs up icon to show gratitude!

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.Smiley Happy

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (173 Views)

You mean to say that i need to take the hard drive out and then again insert it at the desired location (reseat) and not replace it with a new one.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 5 (135 Views)

Hey @Himanshu9001,

The first step is to reseat the Hard Drive. Remove it, check the connections, remove any dust or debris. Return it to the Notebook and try the Hardware test again. If all good no need to replace. 

If comes back with a failure again, then replace it.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.Smiley Happy

I work on behalf of HP
Provost
Message 5 of 5 (115 Views)

If you need a service manual to show how to reseat the hard drive, let us know the full model number so we can get you the correct manual

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation