Did you mean: 
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard drive failure, F11 not working

15-1337wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
My computer can't even get to the windows screen. After the hp screen it just goes black. I ran a diagnostic and the hard drive failed. I tried to do a factory reset but F11 won't work. It just says "please wait" but nothing happens except the screen goes black. A recovery disk did not come with the computer and I don't know what to do. I can't get into windows to even get into safe mode. Please help.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,082 41,871 6,647 11,601
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes the recovery files are stored on the hard drive for F11 so if it is bad you will not be able to do an F11 recovery. You are going to have to replace the hard drive. 

Since you have Windows 10 you can download a recovery disk from Microsoft to reinstall on the new drive. Likely some data can be recovered off the old drive. Post back if you need more help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I can't even get on the computer to create a recovery. I guess I have to buy a disc then.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,082 41,871 6,647 11,601
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes you need a hard drive. You also need to find a way to download Windows 10 on another computer to make a restore disk. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation