Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (111 Views)

Hard drive short dst short failed

Product Name: Hp pavilion 15 notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
I dropped my laptop by mistake and now it runs slow after a while, found out my Hard drive short dst short failed, but my warranty has run out and was wondering how much it would cost to fix ?
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (88 Views)

Re: Hard drive short dst short failed

A retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Western Digital,Seagate,etc.Price depends on capacity but probably $50-60.

Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Regents Professor
Message 3 of 3 (81 Views)

Re: Hard drive short dst short failed

> how much it would cost to fix ? 

Presuming that your disk-drive being in "imminent failure" status means that it still is "slightly-usable", i.e., it still works, but much more slowly ....

Hardware: $60 to $100 US for a new, maybe larger-capacity, disk-drive.

If you're comfortable with opening-up your computer, and partially disassembling it ...

If you buy a SEAGATE disk-drive, then you can download _free_ "disk-cloning" software from SEAGATE's web-site, and do a "byte-for-byte" copy from "old" to "new".

Similarly, if you buy a WESTERN DIGITAL disk-drive, then you can download _free_ "disk-cloning" software from their web-site, and do a "byte-for-byte" copy from "old" to "new".

Then, remove the "old disk-drive, and boot from the "new".  All your personal files & E-mail will be present.

If you're not comfortable with doing "hardware", you'll have to pay a qualified computer technician about $60 US for her/his skills/time, in doing the above "disk-cloning" steps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation