Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion laptop 15-cc1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I update the Hard drive to NVMe SSD 1TB for HP Pavilion 15 cc1xx?  I did open the computer and saw a port adjacent to the battery.  I believe it is NVMe port but want to confirm.  Also, is there is a limitation to the size of SSD meaning can I go upto 1TB or restricted to 512GB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The capacities/configurations listed in the manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

I think you would be fine if you wanted to install a 500 GB or 1 TB NVMe SSD along with the 1 TB mechanical hard drive.

The one thing I don't know for sure is how to get the PC to boot from the NVMe SSD when there is an OS on the hard drive.

Dual drive configurations from the factory have no OS on the 2.5" SATA drive.

The notebook is configured to boot from the SATA drive first and if there is an OS on it, that is what is going to happen.

So, you may have to remove Windows from the 1 TB hard drive so the notebook boots from the M.2 SSD.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to install a 1 TB NVMe SSD.

The drive sizes listed in the service manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

Below is the link to the service manual.

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

Solid-state drive:
For use only on computer models with model numbers 15-cc1xx and 15-cc6xx:
● 512-GB, 2280, Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe), Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe)
solid-state drive
● 256-GB, 2280, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive

The supported drive types can be found in chapter 1.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you for the response. Greatly appreciated.  Just a clarification:  Since the manual says for dual configuration, it says 256 GB SSD with 1TB hard drive. My hard drive has 1TB disk drive. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Dual-storage FonƭgurDtions
● 2-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3, TLC solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3, TLC solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 256-GB, PCIe solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3, TLC solid-state drive

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The capacities/configurations listed in the manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

I think you would be fine if you wanted to install a 500 GB or 1 TB NVMe SSD along with the 1 TB mechanical hard drive.

The one thing I don't know for sure is how to get the PC to boot from the NVMe SSD when there is an OS on the hard drive.

Dual drive configurations from the factory have no OS on the 2.5" SATA drive.

The notebook is configured to boot from the SATA drive first and if there is an OS on it, that is what is going to happen.

So, you may have to remove Windows from the 1 TB hard drive so the notebook boots from the M.2 SSD.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.