Rswoza Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard drive what’s the difference up grade or replace

Pavilion g6 - 2279sa

Hi my sons lap top has been dropped the screen was replaced and works fine but the lap top won’t boot up and allow you to use windows. After several conversations and system check it seems the hard drive is knackered. My question is do I replace the hard drive like for like or upgrade ?happy to take advice. I have found a reconditioned hard drive but the HDD P/N last details are different...mine is (photo) HN-M750MBB/M the one I found is HN-M750MBB/AS1 could some one explain the difference last letters and number. The model numbers are the same. Also do i need to reinstall windows 8? I don’t have the backup discs. I’m on a Budget but he does have some pocket money to use if it’s worth while. Tia

D75D09CB-ADC5-4905-94C8-226CD729C525.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
103,777 97,791 15,194 23,384
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the notebook is running fine and just needs the hard drive replaced, you may want to consider purchasing a better performing, normally more reliable 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

This is an excellent budget friendly model if your son can live with 500 GB of space.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-500GB-560MB-530MB/dp/B072R78B6Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=96FC8U84GS2X&...

You will have to reinstall Windows.

I can give you a free way to reinstall W8.1, but in order to install W8, you would have to buy recovery media if you can even get it somewhere.

Here's how to reinstall W8.1 by using the W8 product key in the PC's BIOS...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Only if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or usb flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-g6-2200-notebook-pc-series/5296082/mode...

If the showkey plus utility shows a W8.1 Single Language product key, then you will have to go back and download the W8.1 SIngle Language ISO file so the W8.1 Single Language product key will activate the installation.

Rswoza Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, will let you know how I get on, my mrs mate is a tech guy who’s going to check that the hard drive is indeed knackered before I buy a new one. appreciate the advice on a SSD DRIVE 😀  

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103,777 97,791 15,194 23,384
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation