Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Folio 13" with/128GB SSD mSata. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check these reviews:

http://thessdreview.com/category/our-reviews/msata-our-reviews/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Page #40 of document c03177433.pdf shows you how to do this. BUT very interesting, yesterday Thursday 15-Mar-2012 at 3:59PM (AEST) I downloaded this manual but it's no longer there today (my clock: Friday 16-Mar-2012 10:39 AM) 

Probably it has been removed, but please try this (must be quick):

http://images10.newegg.com/User-Manual/User_Manual_34-158-315CVF.pdf

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
thank you for the procedure. I was more wanting to know if you guys sell a bigger SSD msata hard drive. My 128gb is running out of space and was hoping HP sells a 256gb or could reccomend one.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check these reviews:

http://thessdreview.com/category/our-reviews/msata-our-reviews/

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded my HP Folio 13-1020US, both the memory to 8GB and the SSD to 256.  As the other post correctly note the published Maintenance and Support Guide provide all the disassemby instructions.  I upgraded the memory with a off the shelf memory module of the same specs as in the Maintenance and Support guide, no problem. See my disassembly comments at the end.

I upgraded the ssd to a 256 GB Generation III SSD with 6gb/s which is much faster than the original Gen II 3GB/S SSD.  I used a Crucial CT256M4SSD3 which worked perfectly and auto negotiated the speed upgrade automatically.  The downside is that I could not find a working external adapter for these very new mSTATA drives in order to clone the existing drive.  The restore disks, if you made them or have them will not work because they do not recognize the new hard drive and thing that a controller driver is needed.

This means you will need an external optical drive and a bootable Windows 7 DVD to install the operating system.  Make sure to connect the USB drive to the right hand USB 2 port, since the lefthand USB 3 port needs special drivers installed (Fresco).  After the install, download the Folio drivers from the HP Site and install them, which will fix video etc to work correctly.

Note that the disassembly instructions were not so clear for me in two areas.

After removing all 15 screws from the back, turning over, opening and ready to lift the upper right hand corner of the tray,   This is because there are 4 ribbon cables attached which you don/t want to pull on too hard.  What you are trying to do by pressing on the right corner of the keyboard from inside the upper right corner of the tray as the instructions tell, is to pop the edge of the keyboard out of the tray.  It has tabs which will pop out along the top, right, and left sides.  It has teeth which slide toward the screen when the keyboard is loose to remove.  After the keyboard is loose, look underneath and note the wide cable and the narrow one.

Each of these cable has a black "door plate" which will lift up with a plastic instrument or toothpic and light pressure to release the end of the cable furtherest from the keyboard.  Remove the keyboard and note there there are two more cables, accessible through the metal tray.  One just above the touch pad and the other in the upperleft near the power switch.  These work the same way but are white colored.  Just gently lift up the hinged door to release the cable.  The cables have a blue tab to assist you when you reinsert them.

I recommend wearing an anti-static wrist band which is grounded when doing this.

Hope this helps someone.

Email me with your questions.

HP Recommended
Wow thank you! Bummer that there is no external adapter to clone the HD yet.
HP Recommended

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say I was able to successfully clone the factory provided 128GB mSATA SSD on my Folio 13 to a 256GB Crucial drive that I bought from Buy.com.

This is the one I used:

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-256gb-msata-6gb-s-solid-state-drive-ssd/231543742.html

What I did was before removing the old SSD I created a Ghost Image of it on another drive by doing a local disk to image clone on an external USB drive. Take note I had to connect an external CD drive on the left USB port and a WD Passport drive on the right USB port for the destination of the image file. I initially had the CD drive on the right USB port but for some reason it doesn't get recognized as a boot device so after swapping ports it finally worked.

That done, I took the old SSD off and installed the new one as described in the manual and following mldavis99's helpful tips in taking the keyboard and top case out. I then plugged the external CD drive on the left USB port again, Passport drive on the right, booted off the Ghost CD and ran Ghost and this time doing a local image to disk clone, careful to choose the right drives for source and destination. It took about 25 minutes and when it was done, I unplugged the cd and passport drives, restarted the machine and finally, more drive space!

I've looked around and there seems to already be a couple of cases for mSATA SSD drives but still a little pricey.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Eucalyptic,

Was your HP Folio 13 a 1029wm?  I want to put a larger SSD into mine and want to be sure that the one that you bought from Buy.com will work in mine.  I found the same SSD on Amazon.  

Thanks!

HP Recommended

OK, I have the HP Folio 13.

I have the new bigger SSD.

I have the newest version of Ghost (15.0).

I have a seagate 1.5tb external USB HDD.

I have an external CD/DVD burner.

What I DON'T have is a clue as to how to use Ghost.  I really need someone to hold my hand through the process.  Anyone know enough about it that they can help me out?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.