Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 440 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Folks,

I bought this computer a couple of weeks ago with the following parts missing: RAM, HD Wireless and CPU fan. So i put a WD  black SN750, 32GB of  Crucial RAM (CT16G4SFRA32A) and took an intel 9260NGW i had in a drawer. Unfortunately after i finished assembling everything, i booted the computer but got no image either on the computer screen nor using the hdmi output. I started removing all the parts (battery, ram, hard drive, wifi card) one by one and all together at the end, but it didn't change anything in neither cases: the laptop boots, the led (orange) of F5 and F11 keys are on and the F10 led blinks a couple of times before the fan start blowing like crazy. On battery, the same happens.

Would you guys have any idea on what those signs might mean ? Are those typical of any kind of well known hardware problem ? What scares me is that i have no image. 

Any help on diagnosing the source of the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Nico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I never pay attention to the Codes as they are inherently unreliable. If the motherboard is bad it will not give proper Codes. Do you get a beep if you try to POST it with no memory installed? That is usually a good sign that the motherboard is basically good. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

DDR4-3200 memory where the laptop is designed for DDR4-2400....which processor do you have? DDR4-3200 should theoretically work but the laptop is not really designed for it. The laptop is behaving as if it is non-compatible memory although it can also behave that way with a bad motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer, 

the cpu is an i5 8265u.

BTW, i paid closer attention to the blinkings:

I get Caps lock num lock blinking 5 times with the ram modules

and 4 times without ram.

According to this document: 

- 4 times means graphic controller not functional and

- 5 times general system board failure

- 3 times memory module error

But the HP Pavilion dv5000 Notebook PC series support documentation says the same.

Can you confirm that those code are standard for all models ?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

I never pay attention to the Codes as they are inherently unreliable. If the motherboard is bad it will not give proper Codes. Do you get a beep if you try to POST it with no memory installed? That is usually a good sign that the motherboard is basically good. 

HP Recommended

Hmm, no. Unfortunately no sound at all.

HP Recommended

Nicht gut

HP Recommended

Hmm, nicht gut at all, comme on dit ici ;).

I've been playing this game for a while, buying defective laptops. One cannot win every time 😉

Thanks for your help anyway 👍.

HP Recommended

I'm coming back to this thread, as i'm exploring various options. I'm considering swapping the motherboard. I found for about 200 bucks a motherboard which is said to be compatible with HP ProBook 440 G6 /450 G6. The part nbr is L44887-001. Looking at the pictures it looks very similar to my original motherboard which part number is L44889-601.

It looks like this motherboard is for 450 G6, right ? As both computers look very similar, i woundering whether it would be compatible with my 440 G6.

When i asked the seller, he pointed me to the 440 G6 model, which is was selling for almost 500 bucks...

Thanks

HP Recommended

That one is listed in the Manual:

Service Manual 

Intel Pentium 5405U processor L44887-xxx

Its a budget Pentium processor. A whole used laptop with that processor would be worth not much more than the asking price for that motherboard. Should be more like $100 to make economic sense. 

HP Recommended

Thank you, i hadn't seen that one.

Then, case is definitely closed for this laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.