7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

High power consumption Pavillion DV6 3137ed

Pavillion DV6 3137ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have a pavillion DV6 3137ed (Bios HP F.23) which has been runing quite well after I bought it in 2011 or so. In 2015 however I had problems with the graphic processor which was replaced (or "reballed / reflown") by a generic repair shop. After that it was running OK again. In the beginning of 2016 I replaced the 500 Gb drive (which was showing errors) by a Samsung 250 Gb SSD. At the same time I installed W10 x64 which was problematic due to missing drivers for the HD4200 and HD 5000 Mobilty Radeon. After visiting several forums I finally succeeded to get it running (more or less) by installing the AMD driver 13-1-legacy_ vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc.exe. Although the LCD is working OK, I keep getting error messages for the graphic processor. So far a general description.

Now to the real problem; The laptop does not want to start without the charger connected. Once running it will run for some time on battery power and than all of sudden switches off. After replacing the battery with a new one the awkward behaviour remains the same. After installing the HP Support Assistant the battery check shows a fully OK battery. Fully charged the capacity is 4495 mAh at 12,44 Volts. If I manage to keep the laptop running without the charger the Support Assistant shows a power draw of about 4,000 mA at 11,87 Volts. The voltage in itself should be no reason for switching off the laptop, however it might be such that the high current draw activates some overload modus. It seems to me that 4,000 mAh at 5 - 10% processor load is very high. In the past the laptop was running 3 to 4 hours on the battery representing an average power draw of some 1,200 mA.

Yet another weird thing is the processor temparure. Immediatly after start up it shows about 60 degrees Celcius, where as the operating temperature at 5% load raises up to 72 degrees.

Does anybody know where to look for? Any figures for power, voltage and temperature for a good runing DV6 available? Should I blame the not correctly working graphic processor? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Kind greetings,

Dave

The Netherlands

8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
41,627 40,066 6,272 10,894
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How many cycles showing on the battery? The temperatures you report are not unusual for a large desktop replacement laptop, particularly an AMD model. 

0 Kudos
Dave1047 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP support assistant show for cycles 6 / 300. It is bassically new. I also forgot to tell, that the laptop has been cleaned internally. Fan, heatexchanger, etc. Also the heat conducting paste between the processors and the "pipework" has been renewed.

Dave

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think you have a hardware issue going on with the motherboard, sorry to say. 

0 Kudos
Dave1047 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think that is the only logical conclusion. However it might be helpfull to confirm this conclusion if someone having a simular laptop could provide me with some numbers as given by HP Support Assistant.

Although I'm not quite sure when the problem started (normally my daughter is using this laptop) I think it might be related to the repairworks carried out at the graphic processor.

When I have some more time I will open the laptop again and see if I can find some hot spots on the board. Somewhere this high current must be converted to heat.

Kind regards,

Dave

P.S. Does anyone have information on the W10x64 driver issue for the ATI 4200 and ATI 5000 Mobiltiy Radeon? Another question is why this laptop has two graphic systems at the same time?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Its switchable graphics which was all the rage and still is. The theory is that the laptop runs most of the time on th elow power adapter to save power and switches to the higher powered adapter on demand. It has been a constant source of headaches and Windows 10 does not play nice with it. HP has not posted a Windows 10 driver and the standard AMD drivers do not work with it. 

0 Kudos
Dave1047 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your additional information. Now it becomes clear why warnings about the graphic display ar popping up, when changing from battery power to external power and visa - versa. I saw quite some comments on the AMD forum about the W10 x64 drivers for the DV6 laptop. Some people claim to have found a solution, but for me until now no luck. W7 x64 was no problem. If I find something new regarding the high power consumption or the drivers I will keep you informed.

Thanks again en regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The best advice I can give is that Windows 7 just works and getting the drivers working in Windows 10 is a work-around, best case. You pick. 

0 Kudos
Dave1047 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I while ago I was active in getting the laptop working on W10 x64 Build 1607 and with the help of some AMD legacy drivers I got it running. The high power consumption kept puzzling me though, but I kept it running until some weeks ago, when a new issue popped up. During normal operations the screen suddenly turned grey – white. Restarting the laptop returned it to a normal working state for a while, making me suspect the graphic drivers again. Today I decided to remove the legacy drivers and replaced them by the ones available in W10. This did not only solve the white screen issue but also reduced the power draw from 4000 mA to somewhere around 2000 mA. Still relatively high, but at least allowing the laptop to run nearly two hours on battery power.

Everything no works reasonably well and processor temperatures also came down by some 20 degrees C. However I’m still struggling with one issue and that’s the kdbsync.exe file from AMD. Although I uninstalled everything related to the AMD Catalyst Control centre (which I do not need), something keeps calling for the kdbsync file. Even after removal of the file errors occur in a weird way, that the laptop will nog completely boot on external power (screen stays black) but boots fine on battery power. Changing from external power (with a black screen) to battery power also makes Windows boot OK. Has anyone an idea where to look for?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation