Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'd like to be able to turn it off and on easily, but will tackle the problem in the BIOS, if necessary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It looks like this model has the Alps hardware (vs. the Synaptics brand hardware), but I still don't see Alps there under Mice and Other pointing devices where it should be. If you scroll down to the bottom in Device Manager, do you see any Unknown Devices with a yellow caution symbol or question mark? If so, double-click on it, click the Driver tab and Uninstall it. Then restart the computer. The missing driver will automatically be detected and reinstalled.

If not, it looks like the Alps driver needs to be downloaded. Download and install it from here:

Alps Touchpad/Trackpad Driver version 8.201.1717.118

Once it is installed, you should have full functionality of the ON/OFF switch.

Let me know the results 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello,

Your overall purpose is a bit unclear; there are a couple of options available for TouchPad control that may work for you.

HP EliteBook Revolve 810 Tablet Windows 8 User Guide

TouchPad On / Off Switch - Session

• The first option is to simply turn off the TouchPad with the on / off switch in the Upper Left corner.  It takes a firm double tap in the far upper left corner -- the switch is a toggle -- double tap for on, repeat for off.

Touch_pad_on-off.PNG

Disable TouchPad

You can select to disable the TouchPad

(Windows key + X) > Control Panel > Mouse > Select Tab TouchPad / ClickPad Settings >

Make sure that "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached" is UNCHECKED >

TouchPad Settings > Tapping >  Under "Top Left Action" > SELECT Switch TouchPad Off

Synaptics_Switch_TouchPad_Off.PNG

Disable TouchPad when external Mouse is connected

(Windows key + X) > Control Panel > Mouse > Select Tab TouchPad / ClickPad Settings >

CHECK "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached" UNCHECKED > OK

===========================================================================

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I don't have a touchpad tab in my mouse settings...  also the double tab - no matter how many times I try it, does not switch off the touchpad...  other options to temporarily disable touchpad please?

HP Recommended

Hey Mags-

There are a few things you can try.

First, a Hard Rest - drains all the electricity from the unit and gives it a clean boot state

1. Remove the battery. Unplug the AC Adapter and all peripherals

2. Hold the Power button down for about 10 seconds

3. Put the battery and AC Adapter back in

4. Power on and test the touchpad issue.

If you're still having the issue, Uinstall and Reinstall the touchpad driver.

1. Open Device Manager

2. Expand Mouse and other pointing devices

3. Double-click on Synaptics

4. Click on the Driver tab

5. Click the Uninstall button 

6. Restart when prompted. Windows will automatically detect and reinstall the missing driver during the restart.

This should reset the driver and solve any driver/software issues.

Let me know if you have any questions! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips but to no avail...  I still cannot get the double tap to work and I still don't have the tabs in my mouse properties so cannot see synaptics to uninstall the drivers and try again.  Its like my HP does not even recognise that I have a working touch pad..  please any other help?

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

That screenshot is from Control Panel > Mouse Properties.

Uninstall is found in Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices > Synaptics Properties. Here are the steps to get there:

1. Windows key + X

2. Click Device Manager

3. Expand 'Mice and other pointing devices'

4. Double-click on Synaptics to bring up Properties

5. Click the Driver tab

6. Click the Uninstall button and Restart the computer. During the restart, Windows will automatically detect and reinstall the missing driver. 

HP Recommended

Tried there but can't see Synaptics

Untitled.png

HP Recommended

It looks like this model has the Alps hardware (vs. the Synaptics brand hardware), but I still don't see Alps there under Mice and Other pointing devices where it should be. If you scroll down to the bottom in Device Manager, do you see any Unknown Devices with a yellow caution symbol or question mark? If so, double-click on it, click the Driver tab and Uninstall it. Then restart the computer. The missing driver will automatically be detected and reinstalled.

If not, it looks like the Alps driver needs to be downloaded. Download and install it from here:

Alps Touchpad/Trackpad Driver version 8.201.1717.118

Once it is installed, you should have full functionality of the ON/OFF switch.

Let me know the results 🙂

HP Recommended

You are an absolute star!   On/Off works 🙂

HP Recommended

Great! Well done! I'm happy to help 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.