Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello, i have an HP Elitebook 8460p that i use for work, but my only disappointment is that i don't seem to have an option to disable the touchpad.  this leads to me accidently touching the pad whilst typing which moves the cursor to unwanted places, or has even sent an incomplete mail previously.

my personal preference is to use the stick in the centre of the keyboard to control my mouse device, therefore was hoping i may be able to find a way to disable the touchpad.  I have tried touching the top left corner for 5 seconds, and this does not work.  i have also looked for synaptics to disable that... however this does not appear to be running on my process list.

Help!!!! 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Try double tapping the upper left cornerof the touch pad. It worked for me...   -Ed

HP Recommended

Double tapping this little light is not working for me. Is there another way?

HP Recommended

Make sure you have your touchpad driver and installed andlaunch the Synaptics application (in the task tray). Go to the device settings tab and disable the 2 luxpad decvices (Luxpad 7.5and buttons 7.5) this should do it. See attached pics...

Luxpad1.JPG  Luxpad2.JPG

HP Recommended

Thanks

The two photos are not showing up in the post. But it's ok, I found what you were talking about and it worked.

A correction, I had to enable the two Luxpad devices, not disable them. 

Strangely, once the pad is enabled, I can double tap the top left corner to disable it. However double tapping again does not bring it back. I have to go to the settings again.

HP Recommended

I cannot find the "Synaptics" icon in the task window.  Is there a program I can run in the Windows or programs folder?

HP Recommended

Check in the control panel under Mouse. Open it and should be the last tab on the right called device settings. You should be able to enable or disable the touchstick, buttons and pad from that window. If you dont have the Synaptics application then download from the support and drivers section. Here is the link to the windows7 pro drivers http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

HP Recommended

I just had this problem, and I also double tapped the upper left corner like one of the other responders.

HP Recommended

Were you able to resolve using the steps listed?

HP Recommended

Gracias por el aporte, me funciono.

Saludos desde el Salvador

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.