Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ascertain max ram and order appropriate ram. i used cmd to find that my notebook has 33554432 bytes divided by 1048576 or available to max memory 32 gb ram. first, is this process that i used the correct way to get the max ram capability. second, what is the criteria for purchasing 8 or 16 gb ram for my unit? working on deciding if i need to buy a new or just upgrade for my needs which are not gaming or high usage, usually only 4-5 gb of my available 8gb ram installed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, your notebook has an i3 processor installed. If it were i5 or higher, I would agree with 32 GB.

If your useage is not gaming or high processor tasking or programs with high memory useage, then 8 GB is just what you need.

That is the base criterion, especially considering that the installed processor is just above entry level for a PC or notebook.

The i3 Intel Core processor is integrated into the systemboard, soldered in, not a socketed type and not upgradeable.

Crucial Memory will only recommend 16 GB to be installed and their reputation is on the line. 

Consider purchasing a new pair of guaranteed compatible 8 GB memory modules.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-15-bs013dx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpIfvqr_O-...

I am not an HP employee. I am a volunteer. The suggestions that I make to try to help others are my own words.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, your notebook has an i3 processor installed. If it were i5 or higher, I would agree with 32 GB.

If your useage is not gaming or high processor tasking or programs with high memory useage, then 8 GB is just what you need.

That is the base criterion, especially considering that the installed processor is just above entry level for a PC or notebook.

The i3 Intel Core processor is integrated into the systemboard, soldered in, not a socketed type and not upgradeable.

Crucial Memory will only recommend 16 GB to be installed and their reputation is on the line. 

Consider purchasing a new pair of guaranteed compatible 8 GB memory modules.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-15-bs013dx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpIfvqr_O-...

I am not an HP employee. I am a volunteer. The suggestions that I make to try to help others are my own words.
HP Recommended

thanks for the input. have ordered 2 new 8gb from amazon with a toolkit with plastic pry bars etc

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Be very gentle with the laptop "rubber feet"

HP Recommended

yes, about the rubber feet...should pry up the correct end....the toolkit was a smart move and the ram, now 16gb worked just fine, thanks for your help. there is a youtube about how to dismantle this and patience is a virtue here, for sure.

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

I am pleased to have been able to help you with your upgrade.

That is what we volunteers are here for. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.