Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bough my HP Mini 311-1000, running Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.  The touchpad is SO sensitive that the slightest brush by my thumbpad sends the cursor off in wild, random directions.  I'm using a wireless mouse for the most past and would like to disable the touch pad when I'm typing.  I've installed the freeware program "Touchfreeze", but it apparently does not work with Win 7.  Any help out there?  Thanks.

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Here's what worked for me.

On the ALPS touchpad, disable tapping.

Click on the touchpad icon on the right side of your bottom taskbar, select properties, select tapping and uncheck the box.

Don't go through an hour with customer support while they uninstall, reinstall the ALPS driver, update your bios, and then tell you that you need to uninstall and reinstall your operating system.  It won't help.

HP Recommended

With new version of Alps driver you can disable touchpad with FN+F12.

I always use a mouse so I would like that this setting could be saved.

On the contrary, if you restart the computer, you have to type FN+F12 again.

HP Recommended

@skonie wrote:

Here's what worked for me.

On the ALPS touchpad, disable tapping.

Click on the touchpad icon on the right side of your bottom taskbar, select properties, select tapping and uncheck the box.

Don't go through an hour with customer support while they uninstall, reinstall the ALPS driver, update your bios, and then tell you that you need to uninstall and reinstall your operating system.  It won't help.

Thanks Skonie... I have been so frustrated and ticked off at HP for not fixing this touchpad issue.  Your easy quick fix did the trick.  HP should hire you for tech support.   I don't know that I will ever buy another HP after having to deal with this anoying touchpad issue for so long!  I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet.     

Failing to fix annoying problems for your customers is not good business.  I was so excited to get this new laptop and this touchpad issue has spoiled the experience for me.   I will definatley be looking at another brand for my next laptop as this is unacceptable!

HP Recommended

I have a  HP6730b and our company switched to Windows 7 and there's no access to disable the touchpad.  While I'm typing, the cursor jumping around all over the place and is driving me crazy.  I've read the previous posts but those don't apply in this situation.   I had no trouble disabling the touchpad with Vista but I can't access anything in the control panel that will enable me to do this.  Under devices, mouses, etc., no touchpad is listed and all it says under devices is HID-Compliant Mouse OR PS/2 Compatible Mouse.   How can I disable this thing?!?!?!?!

HP Recommended

hi every1,

plz help me bcz some of my friend by mistake has pressed some button in my laptop that my mouse pad is not working now.

i know that if we press left up button on mouse pad then we can use this mouse pad but i don't understand that now its left up button of mouse pad is not working, i tried alot but i don't see any light here now which i were seeing previously.

plz help me that how i can activate this specially i need print screen pics so that i may activate it soon and understand it easily.

thanks indeed.

waiting for urgent reply plzzz

HP Recommended

Did not work.

HP Recommended

did you ever get an answer to this?  I also want my touchpad off, it is annoying.

HP Recommended

I have a dv7 with Windows7.  It has a Synaptic Pointing Device. On the bottom right tool bar is a square red icon. Click it and select Pointing Device Properties.  On the Device Settings TAB you will see the Enable/Disable buttons. NOTE: Once you click Disable you can no longer use the touchpad. However, it is NOT sticky so you can restart and touchpad will come up enabled by default.  The other method is to double tap on the top left of the touch pad.  The dv7 has an orange LED on the top left corner. double tap it to disable/enable the synaptic touchpad. LED On = disabled.

HP Recommended

Thank you but neither worked.  Running WinXP.  No red box in lower rt corner to click.  Touchpad has led, but tapping in corner, or anywere did not call up anything.  Any other ideas?  Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.