Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi;

I have a question about charging funtion of my "HP Compaq Business Notebook, 6720s":

How can I disable "battery charging" function in windows 7? Is there any "advanced setting change" or "software"  that while battery is in its slot, stop my notebook from charging its battery?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Why do you want to do this? The battery will stop charging when it reaches a full charge. You can also set it to charge only when the percent charge falls below a certain level. I have mine set to 90%. This prevents additional charging cycles getting placed on the battery if it discharges just a few percent. Otherwise, battery charging is what the laptop is set to do. It charges even when the system is off, if you noticed. You can do something radical like putting a piece of paper over the charging slots in the battery to prevent electrical connection, but other than that it is going to charge if it is in the laptop.

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

Thanks a lot for your help, it's exactly the case that you mentioned: I'd like to prevent battery being charged when its on 80 or 70% or some neat this, because it would be counted a an extra cycle & will ultimately reduce my battery life time. Then I should put a start level so that charging function would start from that level, not above  it. In current situation, I can't put such a level like this for charging, or I don't know how to do that & even my battery be 97%, again the charge starts to recharge it to reach 100% & it shorten battery life as you know.

Then I'd appreciate you that let me know how to do that.

Thanks

Best Regards 

HP Recommended

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad and the setting for delaying recharge is in the proprietary power management software. I thought HP Business laptops have a similar program but have not found any reference to it in your Manual. I know the setting is not built into any version of Windows.

HP Recommended

After some days trying many methods, yet I haven't find a solution to my problem. Then I ask is there  any one

knows which software should I download for HP Compaq Power Management (similar to the software that Huffer

mentioned, but that was for Lenovo) or which registery or BIOS change should I do , so that I can manually disable

charging function of laptop, or at least put a starting level that up to that level, laptop won't start

autolatically to charge battery, because in this manner once that my Battery reaches to below 100%, instantly begin

to be charged & it would decrease its life time. Please consider that because of my power cable is to some damaged, sometimes it suddenly disrubt & cause my laptop abruptly shut down, then necessarily the battery would always be connected tob prevent this suddent effect.

If any one could help me, I would appreciate him a lot.

Regards

HP Recommended

It's been almost 2 years.  Is there still no solution to disable battery charging on HP computers?  Has anyone told them that other manufacturers such as Dell and IBM offer this feature?

If this is a sign of HP's technology, I will go back to Dell for my next notebook. (my previous dell is 4 years old and the battery still gets 4 hours on a full charge w normal use (it got 4.5 hours initially).  I have clicked on the DELL BATTERY METER after almost every full charge and disabled battery charging.  Otherwise use has been normal, I wouldn'thave bought an HP if the dell was fast enough to continue being useful.

HP Recommended

with what software  you can set that?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.