Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360 m6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I decided to upgrade the ram in my Envy x360 m6 laptop from 8GB to 16GB. I reviewed the hardware manual located at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04763031 for instructions on removing the top cover, the system board, and installing the new memory. During the course of my installation, the antenna wires came off the WiFi module (756751-005). I now can't get the wires reattached. Are they supposed to just snap back on? The parts are so small it's really hard to see them clearly or get a good look if there is a notch or a groove or something that dictates how they are supposed to be reattached. Worst case scenario I just forego the builtin WiFi and just use a USB WiFi adapter but I am hoping someone here can give me  an idea of what I may be doing wrong.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, those cables are very tiny and delicate.

The first thing to check is to make sure you didn't remove (break) the terminals from the wifi card.

You may need a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to check the condition of the terminals.

The remnants would be stuck inside the antenna 'cups.'

If the wifi card terminals are intact, you have to carefully center the antenna connector over each terminal and push down.

They snap on.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I am actually trying to zoom in with my phone's camera. It looks like I keep bending the metal on wifi card. Not sure if I want to solder them on since they don't seem to want to snap on. I am assuming if the terminals have been broken off then the antenna would need to be replaced as well? It's seeming as if I may be better off just using a USB WiFi at this point.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I broke both terminals off my Intel 7265 while trying to upgrade it to the Intel 9260.

Fortunately for me I was able to dig the broken terminal pieces out by using a sewing needle, tweezers and a jeweler's loupe, and I was able to snap the cables onto the 9260.

Never again will I attempt to upgrade a M.2 wifi card.

If the wifi terminals are broken which it seems they are, as the cables should pretty easily snap on, they are indeed stuck inside the antenna cups, and you can spend the hour or so like I did to try and clear them out, or you would have to replace both the wifi card and the antenna cables.

Replacing the antenna cables would require the complete disassembly of the notebook including the display panel bezel to properly route them.

I would be buying an external USB wifi adapter before going through that trouble.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for all the information you provided. Ironically enough, when I put everything back together, WiFi is still working and I am still pulling 100+Mbps. I just lost Bluetooth which is not the end of the world for me. I'll just switch from a Bluetooth mouse to a wireless. It's too bad that the antenna can't attach like many of the other ribbon like connectors. Over time all of these things have gotten smaller while my fingers have gotten fatter and my eyesight has worsened. 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Ditto on your last sentence.  😊

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.