Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14-ax0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

I'm using an HP Stream 14-ax0XX with 32 GB of storage but only roughly 5 GB are free. The rest is filled with files that came with laptop and I don't know if I can delete without turning my laptop into an expensive paperweight. Unfortunately, I enjoy playing games and I want to download Skyrim but it requires 13 GB more than I have available. How can I get enough space to download and play the game? Will something like an external hard drive work and, if so, are there any external hard drives that are compatible with my system? I need some options and I don't know enough about computers to figure out what I need (If I knew computers I'd have chosen one that didn't have all but 14% of it's storage capacity already filled).

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@DemonWolf 

I don't know what is your HP Stream 14-ax0XX (xx can be from 00 to 99). Anyway, it only has 32GB of eMMC which is soldered to the system board therefore you can't increase from there.

It must have SD (or microSD) card reader. You can add SD (or microSD) to its card reader and use this card for files/user data. You may get more problems later when running Windows updates.

Just a question: did you do a research before opening your wallet to buy a machine which ONLY has 32GB eMMC for storage ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Basically it is not going to be possible and even if you could download it, it would not be playable. There just is not enough room and not enough power.

You can take a look at this article by Expert @Huffer who shows how to gain space and keep the stream kind oo in a functional state.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, no I didn't do prior research. I'm a bit of an oddity for my generation because I'm in my early 20's and fairly computer illiterate. I can use computers well enough to surf the web and play games on them but not much else. I bought the cheapest one at Walmart which was the only one I could really afford without breaking my bank.

Aside from that my comp does have an SD card slot. Couldn't an external hard drive that plugs into a usb slot work? And how do I find the exact model of Stream I own? I only found as much as I did by googling what is on the box and thought it was the model number.

HP Recommended

And to the second comment.... I checked that link and read the article but I don't understand much of it so unless there is a step by step guide that breaks it down more simply than that I won't be able to use it unfortunately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.