Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab120ca
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Has anyone successfully disassembled a Pavilion 15-ab120ca notebook?  I've found the procedure at 

Replace the HDD for Pavilion 15-ab000  which  seems close, but even with all the indicated screws and optical drive removed, I can only get the front and sides to seperate.  It remains attached at the back.  It certainly doesn't slide apart like the video shows.  I'm guessing there's something else I need to do to get it seperated at the back.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad you were able to resolve the problem. I guess I'll find out when I come across the model you are working on:smileyhappy:

All the best,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you removed all the screws in the battery bay. Use a plastic tool (such as a guitar pick or old credit card)  and slide in between top and bottom cover all across the back edge of the back cover, to release the clips holding the cover in place. Twist the plastic tool slightly and do not insert too far.

Page 38 of service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04775872

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Hi David,

As far as I can tell all relevant screws have been removed.  Working with plastic tool doesn't release the back part.

The procedure  on p.38 is for a similar model (the back/bottom of this model doesn't have the access covers), but I've been able to  open it just enough to extract and replace the HD as it is.  I'll remember to decline working on this type of model in the future.

HP Recommended

Glad you were able to resolve the problem. I guess I'll find out when I come across the model you are working on:smileyhappy:

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.