Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion X360 13-U105NL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I just got an HP Pavilion X360 13-U105NL and I wanted to know how I can open it to change the HDD? This is a photo of the backside and the front of this laptop, I just managed to find 4 screws in the back (behind 4 rubbers) but that's it, can't see any other hidden screw. Maybe I have to remove the big rubbers that I highlited in yellow in the picture? Or there are just 4 screws so I can try to open it? The only guide I found was this one for the u100 series, but the backplate is totally different.

Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is the right manual:

Manual

See p. 37. You do have to remove the curved rubber feet. Be very, very careful. It is very easy to stretch those rubber feet out so you can't reuse them and they are very hard to find. You also need to know that opening it will put the warranty in jeopardy. 

Post back if you have any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

This is the right manual:

Manual

See p. 37. You do have to remove the curved rubber feet. Be very, very careful. It is very easy to stretch those rubber feet out so you can't reuse them and they are very hard to find. You also need to know that opening it will put the warranty in jeopardy. 

Post back if you have any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the manual. I removed all 9 screws now, and I detached the keyboard cover from all the sides, but there is something in the center of it not letting me completely remove the keyboard cover, or at least high enough to remove the touchpad and the keyboard connectors (as shown at p.40). Probably are the connectors themselves to apply such pressure in the middle?

HP Recommended

They can. Those cables are short. Have you gotten separation of the 2 plastic halves?

HP Recommended

This is the point I'm at, thight it more than this feels like breaking it so probably this is as far as I can go. There is something in the middle that thighten the keyboard to the "motherboard". I'll try to give a better look in 30 minutes, any advice is welcome anyway. 🙂

HP Recommended

Somehow they took your picture away. Can you lift it and get in from the top of the keyboard side? I am pretty sure you are being restricted by the touchpad cable at the front. 

HP Recommended

I changed image host: this picture shows how much can I lift the kyboard from the bottom, and this one is from the top, is pretty much the same. I think I'm missing somethin but can't figure it out..

HP Recommended

All that is holding you down is ribbon cables. You have to slip something in there and get the zif latches open so you can pull the cables away from the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

I really can't find the way to unzip the ZIF connector and remove the keyboard (or even see where the ZIF connector is in such a narrow space :LaughingTears: ). I think I'll wait for someone to post a video about how to disassembly this specific model or get some help from someone. But thanks for your help Huffler, and have a wonderful christmas 🙂

EDIT: Ok, I did it, and the problem was: there was actually another hidden screw in center of the laptop, holding the central part of the keyboard and not mentioned in the manual. As last try I was checking on youtube to find a disassembly video of this model, then I opened the research to "HP Pavilion x360" models, and got to this video. After watching him remove the two central rubbers I felt so bad, I tried the same on my model and there was actually one hidden screw in the center. I installed a new SSD and now I'm going to transfer Windows 10 on it. 🙂

I have one last question: is there a list of compatible RAM modules for this laptop? I read there is the possibility for a dual channel. Thanks.

HP Recommended

See p. 56 of the Manual. You would have to remove the motherboard to get at the memory but there are 2 slots and it can take a maximum of 16 gigs (2 x 😎 of DDR4-2133 like this:

8.0–GB 2133MHz DDR4 820570–005

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-17000-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B015HQ9TGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

If you install 2 identical modules you will have dual channel memory operation. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.