Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy X360 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi there, 

I just received my new HP Envy X360 Notebook on January 3, 2017. I am a student, and will only be using it for school. 

I love the look, feel of it, and how quickly it runs. What I am not loving is the sound of the fan. It is a very loud clicking noise. Since i use it in class, it is very distracting during lectures. I do not know if i am the only one going through this problem, which is why i am taking this step to post this message. 

My semester has started, and i rely heavily on my laptop. I cannot afford to have it stop working. 

Any suggestions on what i should do? 

It is updated, and considering i just got it i feel i should not be experiencing this. HElP!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Ruttie2

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the system fan is making a loud noise.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below document to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2blvOxR

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

:cattongue:Greetings.
I bought some days ago HP X360 with AMD processor.

This is my mistake ! Cooler for AMD is VERY noisy ! X360 is very cool, but not with AMD proc.

I found some (not very good) solution for it:

1. Open "Control panel->Hardware and sound->Power options"

2. Create new power plan

3. For this new power plan configure advanced option "Minimal processor state, %", set it 10.

You can use this new power plan for everyday work (internet,documents etc. - processor runs at 10% of speed and cooler not so noisy), and for more complex task switch to any other power plan, where processor runs at 100% speed but with big noise :).

HP Recommended
Hi there,

Thanks for the tip. I ended up just taking it back to where I purchased it and they confirmed that the sound was coming from the hard drive so I would need a new piece. I decide to purchase something else.
Hope yours works out for you. That sound is just too much!

Have a nice day!
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I talked to the customer service about it and they said it would take a couple weeks to fix, so I didn't send it because I need it for school. 

It bugs me a lot.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had the same issue from new. What solved it for me was to turn off HPCoolsense (^to the left of battery icon, click ice symbol then turn off). The CPU temp dropped  and the fan is much quieter now but still kicks in under load. Very happy with laptop now.

Edit... Having had the laptop for a while now I've noticed the CPU temp can really spike (and therefore increased fan noise) when updates are downloading/installing (eg. windows10) in the background then return to normal, so check if your laptop is updating when your fan is going mad. For day to day HPCoolsense off is ideal for me (still runs cool), when turned on my laptop is like a wind tunnel! Laptop has an SSD. Hope this helps someone. Also check your drivers are up to date 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-bq100-x360-convertible-pc/16851053/model...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, I have and AMD A7 processor. I have updated the BIOS, changed the power setting, turned off coolsense and it is still fairly loud. its definately the fan. Any other ideas or do I have to return it 😞 otherwise love the laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi, it seems like you've done all you can unless anyone else here has any other suggestions? :Crying:  The  Coolsense off  worked for me and the laptop's been great since, it's a great machine. All I can think of is to contact HP warranty support with the issue. It may help to record a Youtube video and see if you can get the fan noise recorded. Also download and install coretemp to show if the laptop is running too hot (may be a different fault causing the fan to go  full on) and show the program running onscreen in the video. If Support see the issue you may get it fixed/replaced quicker.

Sorry I can't help further and hope you get it sorted, sucks when you're happy with a laptop and this happens :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

Ok so I just bought the new Envy x360 (2018) version with the Ryzen 5 Processor, 16GB of DDR4 RAM and the Vega 8 integrated graphics. At first when my fan was loud I thought it was because of the upgraded 16GB RAM I put in it but I figured out a solution. 

1.) Go into your battery setting where you choose the power plan (you can google this, really simple)

2.)Where it says "Turn off Hard Disk after" or something similar to that, put something like 100Min or more

3.)Go all the way down to where it says Processessing power management

4.)Click on "System Cooling Policy"

5.) Where it says "Active" turn it into "Passive" this tells the computer to not be so aggressive with cooling the computer hence the loud fans

Now that you've done that, you can take another step to insure that everything will be fine. 

1.) Go into your BIOS (when you turn on your computer click F10 (without the FN button)

2.) Go into the System settings tab (or something that says similar)

3.) When you see an option that says "Fan always On" - Turn it On

4.) Save changes and reboot (fan might be loud when you do this)

5.) Go back into BIOS and turn "Fan always on" Off

This worked for me and my computer isn't even that loud when I do hardcore things like Video Editing (3D) and also gaming on it. 

You won't have to worry about anything getting too hot because I've only seen my computers' temperature go up to 40-43 degrees (which is normal by the way) but for the most part when I'm not doing anything too demanding it usually sits around 30 degrees. 

Hope this helps, I had this problem and it was the most annoying thing ever.

HP Recommended

A little late to this discusison but I received a 2018 Envy X360 and had the same problem. I love the laptop for its overall practicallity, design and features but the fan was  LOUD!!! I couldn't use it in a meeting for notes, couldn't use it in class and couldnt use it at work since it would bug people. I called HP and they took it in under warranty. They replaced the processor, fan and fan duct. All is perfect now. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.