Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV4T-5100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will updating to the latest Bios remove the whitelist? I'd like to update the wireless card to a dual band ac or ax card.

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

None of the BIOS updates provide support for additional wireless cards.

No BIOS update would remove a BIOS whitelist.

I see from the specs and the service manual that your PC has an Intel 3rd gen core processor.

It is remotely possible that your PC may be able to use different wifi cards because HP was transitioning away from BIOS whitelists on select models with Intel 3rd gen core processors.

What I don't know is if the dv4t-5100 is part of that small group.

I have two candidates for you to try if you are willing to take a chance on one...

Dual band AC:

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001.

Dual band N:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB WiDi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 730668-001.

You should be able to find either card on eBay by searching by the HP part number.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

c03317323.pdf (hp.com)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

None of the BIOS updates provide support for additional wireless cards.

No BIOS update would remove a BIOS whitelist.

I see from the specs and the service manual that your PC has an Intel 3rd gen core processor.

It is remotely possible that your PC may be able to use different wifi cards because HP was transitioning away from BIOS whitelists on select models with Intel 3rd gen core processors.

What I don't know is if the dv4t-5100 is part of that small group.

I have two candidates for you to try if you are willing to take a chance on one...

Dual band AC:

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001.

Dual band N:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB WiDi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 730668-001.

You should be able to find either card on eBay by searching by the HP part number.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

c03317323.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul. I'm going to give the Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001 I try and see what happens.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how your notebook's WiFi card upgrade project went.

HP Recommended

Where is the best place to get the drivers for the broadcom bcm4352?

HP Recommended

Here are the links to the W10 wifi and bluetooth drivers for that model card...

Wifi:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78044.exe

Bluetooth:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75330.exe

HP Recommended

Card worked when I initially installed it. I was getting very slow speeds max around 50 megabits per second. When I installed the drivers and restarted the laptop the Wi-Fi will no longer turn on. I'm not sure what to do next.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know either.

See if you can roll back the driver to what was originally installed so at least it works again.

HP Recommended

Device PCI was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. i may have to go back to the previous card. 

HP Recommended

Sorry that happened.

I have never heard of a report like that.

Usually if a wifi card is not supported, you get an unsupported wireless card error when turning on the PC and it won't boot up until you remove the unsupported card.

Strange that it worked for a while and then Windows shut it down.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.